The Last One

02/14/2088

Farbanti, Erusea

A car pulled up in front of a retirement home and out stepped a man named Chris he was a reporter looking for the last pilot of a legendary squadron. Stepping inside he went straight for the front desk, "Hello what can I do for you?" the front desk lady asked, "Hello I'm looking for a resident here named..." he pulled out a notecard of the residents name as a reminder "...Zilla, age 87".

The front desk lady nodded her head and stood from her desk, "Follow me sir" and with that he was led to the second story of the building. They walked until they stopped in front of a room numbered '102'. The lady opened the door to reveal a hallway and at the end was the living room with a man sitting in a chair staring out the window. "Thank you" Chris said to the lady and walked inside the room.

Chris POV

Looking around the room I saw it was well cleaned and organized, "What brings you here boy" a deep voice made me focus my attention to the figure sitting in the chair. "I came here to interview you sir" I said, and the man gestured to an empty seat beside him, excited and quickly I made my way to the seat and sat down beside him. "What do you want to know?" he asked me, and I took out a voice recorder and a notepad, "Um I read a lot about you, I would like to know what you've been up all this time" I said, and he sighed, it was depressed but happy sigh. He chuckled and turned to face me, "Alright turn that on and let's get it over it over with".

The voice recorder started rolling and the interview started...

"For a while now I've been living here but before that it was hard... two very major events happened in my life. The first you should know that there were 3 Outcasts left, me, my wife, and Somewhat was his name... 10 years ago, after so many years I met him again... I met Somewhat. It was amazing we caught up on each other's life's and had a few drinks" Zilla's eyes started to water remembering the memories he had which was sad for me to see.

"We stayed in contact for a year... until" Zilla took a deep breathe a tear fell down his face, "It was nighttime, and I got a call from one of his daughters... saying that Somewhat had a stroke and died that night... I didn't know what to say... so I hung up and cried... that's all I could do was cry, I finally met one of my friends after so long and he died" Now tears were falling down his face at a quick rate.

"A few days later I went to his funeral and got to say goodbye... I hated it so much I... I didn't have the strength to see him in that coffin... my friends were amazing people, they were the type of friends that would follow you until the end of the earth and... in that instant... they were gone, and it was just me and my wife... the last two Outcasts" I couldn't even imagine the pain he felt in that moment, he turned around and looked to a picture frame by his bedside.

"The second event... the second one... destroyed me from the inside out... my wife Laura and I met at my original air force base and fought together until the war ended and after that we married each other and had our son... who I haven't heard from in a long time. We were happily married for a long time until she died of a heart attack... 3 years ago" he closed his eyes and tears pushed themselves out and flooded down his face. "She died in the hospital that night... me and my son holding her hand as her soul left the body... after that my son and I had a rough relationship until he cut all contact with me".

"After that I couldn't live in that... house anymore... I sold the house and took everything I held close to me... here." He stopped and I gave him a second before he continued, "Every now and then I go to the cemetery where my friends are buried... and talk to them... I'm eager for myself to pass so I can be with my friends and my wife again... but I guess I'll have to wait a bit more... that's all I have to say" seeing the pain in his eyes I ended the interview right there.