Twenty ☻

|| NARRATOR ||

"Is it just me, or is Taeyong acting weirdly jolly today?"

"No, I definitely noticed it as well," Yuta comments to Doyoung's statement, throwing a chip into his mouth. Taeyong couldn't be bothered by the two detectives' chatter, as he was in his own mindful bliss.

I love you too, Taeyong. The words repeated in his mind as he couldn't help but let a smile onto his face. His head bopped side-to-side to the joyful music on the speakers as he parks the car slowly in the empty lot.

For someone that was about to step foot in one of Korea's most maximum-security prisons, he was awfully happy. Who wouldn't be in his situation? The girl of his dreams told him she loved him, and he was about to get a major lead in a case that shook the entire nation. Solving this case would be a big step up for his career, he might even get promoted to the NIS.

"I feel like Yeri should be here for this, though. I mean, this could be a massive moment! She should be here to commemorate it." Yuta says as the three-step into the penitentiary together.

"She had to deal with something that Seargent Chanyeol needed help with. She'll be back in Gimsan in a few hours." Doyoung says to the fellow detective. Taeyong pulls out his badge to show to the guard. "We're here to speak with Song Gangtae."

The guard nods his head after inspecting the badge, letting them into the prison as they walk into the glass-divided room. On the other side was the man they knew to be Song Gangtae.

His case wasn't dealt with Taeyong's precinct, but almost everyone in South Korea knew him. He was infamous for his ghastly large drug circles and deadly job. He went under the name of SGT, which was what the world had to address him by until they finally caught him.

The face of Gangtae's was slimmed, almost as if he was suffering from malnutrition, but his expression was curious like he didn't know why they were there. Taeyong sits down. "Hello, I'm a detective from the Seoul police force, I'm here to ask you some questions regarding a murder case going on right now."

Gangtae looks confused but remained quiet. Out of his pocket, Taeyong pulls out a picture of Narae. One was a school picture that she had taken her senior year, and one was a screenshot taken from the security camera the day of the mentor's death. "Do you know this girl?"

"...I-I don't think so. Maybe I fucked her a couple years ago, but I've never slept with a high schooler in my life. You said this was a murder case, right? Was she the victim?" Gangtae asks. His voice was raspy and broken, the side effects from smoking cigarettes.

"No, she's the murderer." Taeyong corrects him quietly. "Her name is Lee Narae, also known as the Note Killer."

Gangtae's eyes almost popped out of his head as he looks at Taeyong, not believing a word that came out of his mouth. "She's the kid that's been killing all those people in that small town near Seoul? Shit."

"We have reason to believe that you have a connection to her, Gangtae. We advise you to work with us and tell the truth if you don't want this to become messy." Doyoung says, his voice strict and scary enough to make Gangtae almost shrink in size.

"Wait, What?" He asks, shocked. "I've been locked up behind these bars for almost three years now. Why do you think I'd have a connection with a random girl I've never even met?!"

"In the corner of the notes she's been leaving behind, there were three letters that spelt SGT. Those are your initials used in the crime world, am I wrong?" Taeyong says, taking out the notes to show the man.

He stutters. "Well, yeah... But I haven't been visited by anyone in six months, why would you think I have to do something with this? I'm innocent, I swear!" He desperately tries to defend himself, but none of the detectives listened.

"Just tell us what you know, Gangtae. If you cooperate, maybe we can get you out of death row for good. You do want to live after all, right?" Taeyong says, his voice low and threatening, enough to make the former crime boss shake,

Gangtae's face switched between all three of the detectives, his fist clenching under the handcuffs. "Do you guys seriously not believe me?" He asks despairingly.

"No, we don't. We suspect that since you're in prison, you can no longer commit misconduct like you used to. So now you're making an innocent girl do the dirty work for you." Taeyong says, his voice getting louder and louder by the second.

"I didn't even kill people while I was in the mafia! I only dealt with drugs, don't you guys know that already?" Gangtae complains tiredly. His expression was exhausted, almost as if he was telling the truth. "SGT can mean so many other things, why do you guys think it links to me?"

This was something that left the detectives quiet. "What else could SGT stand for, then?" Yuta asks. The three men share nervous looks, afraid that they had wasted their time talking to a drug lord that knew nothing about the situation. But that couldn't be possible, right? There's nothing else that SGT could mean.

"I don't know, Seargent maybe? Maybe she's going for your Seargent next." Gangtae jokes. But the trio's faces were drained of their colour as Taeyong stared blankly at the man in front of him.

Gangtae's face solemn up as he noticed the tense atmosphere in the room. All four of them were thinking the same thing. They're going for Seargent Chanyeol. And they didn't even realize, yet it was so obvious. Right in their face, almost as if she was waving it like a flag for everyone to see.

But Taeyong felt worse than the others, he couldn't even breathe correctly. Yeri was with Seargent Chanyeol. So if Narae shoots him she's definitely going to kill her as well, or at least seriously harm her. Killing two birds with one stone, so evil but so smart.

His fingers shook as he stumbles out of his seat quickly, his face blank as he heads for the exit. He bumped into every wall as he managed to escape the prison, panting for breath as he leans against the car.

Doyoung and Yuta quickly follow after him, their faces not much less terrified than his. "What do we do now?" Yuta asks, his voice shaking as his chest rises up and down. Taeyong looks at the two men in front of him.

"We need to get to Seoul, right now."