Chapter 11

TWs: Swearing

Kristin shuffled back over to her seat, watching Tommy cuddle further into his blanket, holding onto Clementine a little tighter. She smiled at her son, earning a small scowl in return.

"Why're you smiling at me mum?" Tommy asked, his words slurring together sleepily.

"Maybe it's because you look like you're about to fall asleep," Wilbur chimed in, redirecting Tommy's glare his way.

"No I'm not," the younger fought back, sitting up a bit straighter.

"Yeah you are," Wilbur replied smugly, a small smile showing itself.

"No I'm not Wil! Big men like me don't get tired!" Tommy shouted, shifting in his seat to try to look more awake.

"Sure Toms," Wilbur cooed, turning his attention back to his parents. "Why don't you guys finish the story before he passes out."

"I'm not fucking tired!" Tommy whines before settling down once more, eager to finish the story. His parents laugh softly at him before continuing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Have you got everything honey? You've got all Wil's stuff and yours?" Kristin's mother pestered her as they stepped out into the driveway together.

"Yes mom, I've just got one more bag in the house," Kristin grumbled as she lugged the luggage out to the car. Wilbur trailed behind her, wheeling his suitcase along with him. Kristin's parents helped the two place their bags in the car, standing around them once the job was done.

"Well, I guess this is it, isn't it?" Kristin's mom said, her voice slightly wobblily. She and her husband turned to Wilbur, who looked up at them with wide eyes. Without hesitation, the boy threw himself into Kristen's parent's arms, pressing his face between them.

"Goodbye Mr. and Mrs. Kristin's parents! I'll miss you more than," Wilbur stopped to think for a moment. "Than all the stars in the sky!" he exclaimed, smiling up at them as he broke away from the hug.

Tears began to prick in Kristin's mother's eyes as she quickly wiped them away with her hand. "Goodbye love, we'll miss you too," she told Wilbur, her husband nodding along. The trio hugged once more before Kristin got Wilbur strapped into his car seat. Kristin and her parents then made their way back into the house to collect her last bag. Once they did, they met up at the front door, looking between each other sadly.

"Goodbye honey," Kristin's dad said, pulling his daughter into a hug, his wife joining in. When they pulled away, Kristin's mom held her daughter's shoulders, smiling up at her sadly.

"I just wish it could have lasted a bit longer. I'm really gonna miss Wilbur; he's such a sweetheart," Kristin's mother lamented, glancing down at the ground before looking back up at her daughter. "And you, of course, though I'll see you again," she added with a chuckle.

Kristin smiled at this, pulling her mother in for another hug. "You never know what'll happen mom, maybe you will see Wil again," Kristin remarked, smiling at her. Her mother searched her daughter's eyes, looking for affirmation, before smiling back with a sparkle in her eyes.

The trio made their way out of the house, Kristin's parents waving to her from the porch as she made her way to the car. She placed the bag in her hand on the passenger's seat before making her way over to the driver's side. She got in the car, starting it up and adjusting her mirror, only to find Wilbur smiling out the window.

"What are you smiling at Wil?" Kristin chuckled, eyeing the boy from her rearview mirror.

Wilbur shifted in his seat to look at her, still grinning wildly. "I can't wait to see your parents again Miss Kristin. They've been absolutely lovely!" he told her, flashing her a toothy grin. Kristin's eyes widened at this as she stared at the boy through the mirror.