Chapter 2

The Farmer's Milk Maid

Chapter 2

********************************

(Ruth's p. o. v.)

I couldn't wait for my interview with Mr. Arlington. I was hoping for a position closer to home but since that wasn't to be I would have to be satisfied. From his letter I figured he would be a very nice person to work for. He sounded like an older man who just couldn't handle things on his own anymore.

The interview was set for early morning, so I decided to leave early the day before otherwise I would have to drive all night and go straight to the farm. That meant that I would have to stay in a hotel one night. I really couldn't afford it but mom and dad felt it was safer than driving at night so they pitched in. Dad took the truck and filled it up and even gave it a good scrubbing. Meanwhile mom helped me pack. I was taking everything with me so if I got the job I wouldn't have to come back home for my things. When dad got home he went ahead and loaded the truck and covered it with a tarp. All I would have to do is get up, eat breakfast, and be on my way.

It was finally time for me to leave. When I went to get in the truck I saw a basket on the floor. Mom said she filled it with chicken, potato wedges, coleslaw, macaroni salad, fruit and a surprise. It was hard to do but I told everyone good bye, got into the old Ford pickup truck and took off.

It was a long grueling and lonely drive. I was grateful for the food, that way I wouldn't have stop and buy anything to eat, all I would have to do is gas up along the way and find a place to park because it's dangerous to eat and drive at the same time. There are just too many car accidents caused by eating and driving so I won't do it. I only had to stop a few times to fuel up but on my last stop I had to walk around a bit because I was starting to get tired. When I reached my hotel room all I can remember doing is crawling onto the bed with the intention of resting for a few minutes but the next thing I knew it was morning.

The Day of the interview

Surprisingly I woke up early even though I didn't have my alarm set. That satisfied me because I wanted to get there five minutes before the interview time. I couldn't decide what to wear. They say for an interview you should wear your best but this job was for farm work and I wanted to look the part. So I put on a pair of Levi jeans and a belt, a button up checkered shirt, my cowgirl boots and my best Stetson hat. I felt being early and dressed to work would make a good first impression which was really important to me because I really needed this job. Since I never got any more letters responding to my replies to the help wanted ads I had to give it my best shot and make him see I was willing and ready to work.

When I got there, there was a young man just coming out of the house. He looked to be in his late twenty's to early thirties. I parked the truck and hopped out. I told him I was here for an interview with Mr. Arlington and asked if he could direct me to him. He got this really odd look on his face like he didn't know what I was talking about. Then he cleared his throat and asked me to wait a moment.

(Adam's p. o. v.)

Today Mr. Worthington would be coming for his interview. I decided to wait at the house before going to work in the fields. From the window I saw a cloud of dust behind a vehicle so I headed outside to meet with him. When I saw a young lady get out of the truck I thought maybe she was lost. But before I could ask if she needed directions she said; "I am here for an interview with Mr. Arlington can you direct me to him?" Boy was that a shock! I was expecting a man after all. I cleared my throat and asked her to please wait a minute. Then I went back inside to talk to my dad.