Chapter 15

The Farmer's Milk Maid

Chapter 15

************************************************

The morning flew by and Taylor was surprised to look at the clock and see that her shift had ended. It was her final day on the job. She kind of hated to leave the diner. She had made quite a few friends. As she was gathering her things her boss and a couple of the waitresses came in carrying a beautifully wrapped package. They told her that they were going to throw her a surprise wedding shower plus goodbye party but the wedding got moved up so they didn't have time. So they all pitched in and got her a present instead. They asked her to open it before she went. It was a white satin negligee with a matching peignoir. The gown had a lace over satin bodice with a plunging neckline and satin floor length skirt. The peignoir was solid white satin with lace edging down the front and short lace sleeves. Taylor, who was used to the finer things in life, was amazed that they found something so fine here in such a small town. She couldn't stop the tears, which sprang to her eyes, from rolling down her cheeks. She carefully re-wrapped it, gave them all a hug whispering thank you in their ears, and prepared to leave the diner as an employee for the last time. As she went out the door many well wishes were ringing in her ears.

She placed her things in the back of her car then made her way to Mrs. Walker's to get some flowers. When she got there she was surprised at all her choices. There were flowers everywhere she looked, of every color of the rainbow. She knocked on the door to let Mrs. Walker know that she was there. She felt it was the right thing to do. Mrs. Walker smiled and greeted her with a hug then she picked up the basket, clippers, and gloves which were on the porch by the door and proceeded to take her around so that she could make her choices. She chattered happily as Taylor exclaimed over her variety of flowers. For her own bouquet Taylor chose some beautiful light yellow lilies, miniature white roses, and white daisies. Mrs. Walker also cut her some lacy green leaves from another plant to use as a filler. For Ruth's she chose miniature white roses and yellow daisies and included a couple of large white rose buds for boutonnieres for the guys.

Mrs. Walker urged her to come in for tea and sandwiches while she placed the flowers in buckets of water to keep them fresh. As Taylor chatted with her she couldn't help but wonder what her parents would think of her now. They were so sure she couldn't make it in the world on her own. That everyone of a lower class was out to beat you. She proved them wrong. She did make it, as a waitress at that. Sure, she had to do without many things she was used to, but she was happy and she felt that that was what really mattered. She had made many good friends, found a wonderful man, and was looking forward to the life ahead of her. She smiled at Mrs. Walker exclaiming how delicious the sandwiches and tea were. Soon it was time for her to head to Ruth's. Mrs. Walker told her not to forget her once she was married and to be sure and visit anytime. She told her that she would and waved as she pulled away.

At Ruth's

When Taylor got to Ruth's no one was home so she figured that they must still be milking. Ruth had told Taylor to go on in and make herself at home if nobody was there. She unloaded her car and carried her things up to the room she would be using. Then she carried the buckets of flowers in and set them on the floor out of the way. After she finished putting everything away she prepared a light supper for them all.

Taylor had just set the table and was setting the food on it when Ruth and Jacob came in. She asked; "Where are the girls?"

Ruth told her; "Jasmine is staying up at the main house with Amy so that they can help Beth get everything ready tomorrow. Then Adam will bring them to the dairy barn to do the evening milking."

"Everyone has been so good to Seth and I. I hope you know how much we really appreciate it. To show you how much, I have a light supper on the table. When you and Jacob are ready we can eat."