Chapter 19

The Farmer's Milk Maid

Chapter 19

************************************************

Beth talked to Zach about having a small celebratory dinner the next evening to announce the engagement to the rest of the family. Zach said that that was a good idea and that he would take her into town the next morning, after breakfast, to get what she needed. They decided that on the way to town they would stop by Seth and Taylor's to invite them. While she was shopping he would get a haircut at Caleb's and tell him to come over for supper and then pop over to Benjamin's to tell him, before he collected her from the store.

The next morning Zach and Beth took off as planned. When they stopped by Seth's he had already gone out to work but Taylor was there cleaning up from breakfast. She told them that they had no plans and she was sure Seth would agree to come for dinner that evening. Happy that the first phase of their plans had been a success, they headed off to town. Zach dropped Beth off outside the post office, she was going to pop Ruth's letter to her parents in the box for her then walk to Mr. Codger's grocery store. Benjamin and Caleb both had no plans for that evening also and agreed to come home for dinner. They missed mom's home cooked meals and wouldn't miss one for anything. Triumphant at his success Zach headed off in the direction of Mr. Codger's grocery store to pick up Beth and the groceries.

Everything was ready. The food was on the table and everyone was gathered in the living room enjoying a drink before dinner.

Zach stood up and said; "Silence everybody, Silence!"

When the room got quiet and everyone was looking toward him, Zach said; "Now that I have your attention Adam has something to say."

Adam stood up and walked over to his dad and faced everyone. He cleared his throat and said; "I have good news and some bad news. Which do you want first?"

Everyone looked at each other and in one accord said; "The Bad News!"

"Ruth received a letter from her parents telling her that the twins needed to come home to prepare for school, so we will be saying goodbye to Jacob and Jasmin, which we knew was going to happen anyway. The one thing that we weren't expecting is that Ruth is leaving also. This is why: (Adam read the letter to the group.)."

Everyone broke out talking at once. It was Benjamin that called for quiet once again and putting up his hands asked; "Wait a minute. Wait a minute. What is the good news?"

"The good news is that Ruth will only be gone a year because when Jacob gets out of school he will take over their farm and Ruth and I will be married."

There was a brief silence then a loud thunder of applause broke out around the room. Benjamin, Caleb, and Seth jumped up slapping Adam on the back congratulating him and hugging their soon to be new sister-in-law and cousin-in-law joined by Taylor who was relieved at not losing her friend forever as she thought.

After that they all went in to dinner. It was a very happy group at the table that evening.

Adam had immediately put an Ad into the paper asking for help. As it turned out a new family by the name of Holmbee had just moved into town and needed work. They had lost their farm because of a continuous drought and were hoping to find a job on a farm because that is all they knew.

When Mr. Holmbee read the Ad he got directions and went straight to the farm to see Adam. But Adam was still out in the field so Zach had him come on into the study and have a cup of coffee while they waited for him to come in for lunch. While they talked, Zach looked over Mr. Holmbees references. They were testimonials from some of his former neighbors. It looked like Adam was going to get help sooner than he thought.