Chapter 22

The Farmer's Milk Maid

Chapter 22

************************************************

The next morning Adam woke at his usual hour. He stretched wondering what he was going to do that day. Then looking around he came fully awake and remembered where he was. In a flash he was out of bed, dressed, made his bed, and headed down the hall. Hopefully Ruth wouldn't be gone yet.

She wasn't. She was sitting at the kitchen table eating her breakfast. When she saw him a smile spread across her face and she said; "Good morning", then she got up to get him something to eat.

They sat across from each other talking about the day while they ate. They were soon joined by the kids who came in chattering ninety miles a minute. All they needed to do is milk and feed then the rest of the day would be theirs until the evening milking. Adam wanted her to show him around her stomping grounds. So they made plans to do just that. The kids had their own ideas.

They were putting on their outer wear preparing to go out the door when Ruth's parents came downstairs. They asked the young people if they had any plans for the day. Ruth told them what she and Adam were going to do and left it to the twins to tell them their plans. Then she told her parents that breakfast was on the stove and they headed out the door.

Ruth and Adam went to let the dogs out so that they could go with them to get the cows. They would have to have some time to get used to the herd and the lay of the land. Once the dogs got used to their new surroundings the doggie door could be left unlocked so that they would be able to go out and get them themselves. Jacob, Jasmin, and Amy went to get the milk barn heater turned up so that they could get the milkers started. It was a slow go first thing in the morning in the winter time. When Adam and Ruth got in with the cows everything was ready. Jake and Dolly sat outside at the stall doors. If a cow balked about coming in they would have them in in no time.

They were about three fourths of the way through when they heard the dogs raising a ruckus outside. Adam went to see what was going on and saw the dogs barking and lunging at a man. He had a pretty good idea who it was. To his chagrin the man sweet talked the dogs into accepting him like they knew him all their lives. They followed at his heals as he came to the door reaching out his hand to introduce himself.

"Hi there, I'm Stephen Lassiter."

Adam put out his hand, shook Lassiter's, and said; "I'm Adam Arlington, Ruth's fiance."

A big smile spread across Stephen's face and he said; "Well, nice to finally have a face to go with the name. Ruth talks about you all the time. Strangely she didn't saying anything about your coming."

"She didn't know. It was a surprise."

"I'm sure she was glad when you showed up. I know she's really been missing you. Welcome to our neck of the woods."

That threw Adam for a loop. He wondered just how much talking Ruth did with this man. He didn't know what to say to that. He simply said; "Thank you, I'm looking forward to meeting Ruth's friends and seeing where she grew up."

About that time Ruth popped her head out the door to see what had happened. When she caught sight of Lassiter she said; "Oh, it's you Mr. Lassiter. What brings you out on this cold morning?"

Smiling he pushed past Adam and went with Ruth into the barn explaining as they went.

"I had to go and check on the heifers in the upper pasture and take them some feed so I thought I would swing by and lend a hand as usual."