|0| Prologue

AN! I recommend reading this chapter in dark mode if you're not on it already. : )
- Waffle 💛

I remember dying....

It was one of the most terrifying things to happen in life. I hated it but at the same time I accepted that I was dying.

In the end it was the most peace I had felt in a very long time. It didn't feel like I had lived long as I was fading but I had memories of my life.

Passing ones.

Memories that served no more purpose to someone dead, I suppose.

So I let them pass, watching like it was a slide show of momentary glimpses, but they were slow enough that I could see them.

It was silent after that.

Terrifyingly silent.

Its so quiet here.

That stillness..... It was the kind you feel like if you break it, everything will go wrong.

So I didn't.

I kept going.

I kept looking.

I kept walking.

Never stopping.

As I walked, a small voice spoke to me, it was robotic and quiet but it filled the silence when it answered so I didn't mind the quiet tone too much.

It almost felt incomplete at times. Stalling, almost, if that clears anything.

But she was silent for the most part so I merely explored my surroundings.

There's no way of telling the time in this cave, at least not in the normal means.

I found a lake a while back when I was exploring, the slow, consistent dripping of the water becoming a form of time keeping. Well, that is if you could bother to sit still long enough to count the minutes in between without going mad from the sound.

This cave is a cold, damp place but its not exactly dark. Natural crystals dimly lit up the area for those fortunate enough to be able to see well in dim light.

I guess I should be grateful to the one who sent me here in that respect.

I was born to this world with "Adaptable". At least that's what she called it. According to her, as the name implies, I can adapt to anywhere or in any situation.

Which has been quite nice as it stands. The monsters I've come across have ignored me or helped me forage like I was something to be protected, maybe it was a little rude but I avoided them as much as I could since they don't talk and they looked rather frightening at times.

I just lived there for a while.

Wandering aimlessly and surviving.

Although my body did not seem to have a need for food, I ate simply for something to do in this dark place.

Don't put random things in your mouth, though. Take it from me.

Bad idea.

Anyway.

I experimented with things I found, gaining knowledge the long way to pass the time simply to keep busy or of my own curiosity when I was finally given something new to observe.

The voice that spoke to me when I woke up mostly stayed quiet until I asked for help, simply opting to let me do my own thing as if she were waiting for something to happen.