➵ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ɴɪɴᴇ

Finding the Greene's on an untouched farm was surprise enough.

See, Lucas fought through the start of the apocalypse with three others. Kaine and Nicolá - the only people he's ever had ample trust in through his teenage years - and his English teacher, Rachel Thomas.

Finding sanctuary in the same school they never left since the bombs hit the city.

It was the perfect place, really.

Sturdy, metal gates surrounded the high school from all sides. The only problem they had at the start was locking them up, while struggling to grasp the concept of the kid they watched get hit by a car now turning into a flesh-eating monster, arms reaching through the gaps to grab them.

Nobody wanted to finish it off. They had hope. The military was supposed to be on the way. So were their parents.

Neither came.

Hope was crushed within a week.

They had a cafeteria stocked with food, classrooms they could room in, the best view of the town below - despite the sight growing more depressing every day passed - and the entertainment of searching through belongings.

They killed their first corpses. Were forced to leave the not-so-safe haven and in the end, things were rougher than they'd ever been. They realized how bad it was out there. Much worse. Weeks upon weeks later, he ended up alone. Kaine dead. Lucas was abandoned by the only people he had left.

Rachel and Nicolá were the last living people to be in the vicinity of Lucas. Until he stumbled upon Rick's group.

So, yeah. Finding people was rare.

Stumbling upon two guys at a bar as though it was a normal Tuesday afternoon was even rarer.

Not keen to start any fights, Lucas moves first, holding out the bottle of Vodka in a truce - despite the slimy look the shorter one gives him when he accepts.

Glenn moves to put the bar between him and them, and Lucas does the same as soon as he's free.

They introduce themselves as Dave and Tony, two randoms that met each other on the way out of Philadelphia.

"I'm Glenn. It's nice to meet new people." Glenn is all awkward smiles by now, waving at them.

Rick passes Tony a clean glass, "Rick Grimes." He introduces Hershel and Lucas for them, to which the latter is grateful.

"To new friends." Dave cheers, "And to our dead - may they be in a better place." He lifts his shot glass until they do the same, the burn striking their throats and sitting hot in their chests.

Lucas slams his cup down and picks up the menu sitting in front of him. He flicks through it in the short silence, picking out the different cocktails with his finger. Cocktails he's never bought, or tasted.

Quietly, he cocks his head towards Glenn, "Hey, bartender. I'd like a chocolate martini, thanks." He slides the menu across the counter.

Glenn stops it from sliding over the edge, and huffs.

Dave is saying something to Rick as they muck about, Glenn ducking under the bar to rummage through the cupboards. He pulls out a fancy glass, turns around to look through the collection of liqueurs, and places a bottle of Bailey's in front of him, sliding it all across the counter.

"On the house." Glenn taps the counter softly.

Lucas chuckles. 

Dave leans over to put his glass away, shirt lifting a few inches with the movement.