➵ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪꜰᴛʏ ᴏɴᴇ

Lucas is, as bad as it sounds, relieved to see Daryl in the same distress as he is

His lips part in an attempt to regain his breath, eyes wide and searching for an exit, restlessly shifting his weight from foot to foot. He's panicking, and they have every right to be.

Lucas stands closer to Daryl than he ever has before, narrowed stare attached to the guns pointed between their brows.

He doesn't know if it's gonna be the bullets they die from, or the people.

Andrea struggles through the crowd, shrugging hands off of her in order to get to the Governor, "They're my friends!" She yells, trying to catch Daryl's gaze.

"It's not up to me anymore." The Governor says without looking at her. But they know he's the one who spread the lies. Gleefully accepting the reaction of his people.

As he speaks, Lucas meets eyes with Nicolá on the top row of the bleachers. Her elbows rest on her knees, looking down at him with thin lips and a glint in her narrowed eyes.

Lucas tightens his jaw and glares right back, hurt churning in his gut.

"The people have spoken." The Governor gestures to the crowd, and then to Merle, "I asked you where your loyalties lie. You said here. Well," He purses his lips, "Prove it. Prove it to us all. Fight to the death. Winner goes free."

Someone cuts Lucas's ties, then Daryl's.

The former knows damn well he'll be the first one down if they go through with it.

"Philip, please. Don't do this." Andrea calls out, trying to rip herself from a guard's hold on her. "Lucas- Lucas is just a kid."

Philip. The Governor's name is Philip.

He'd laugh in a different situation. It's the only thought that makes it's way through his scattered panic. No, no, he's past the point of panic. This is fight or flight.

"The boy he put a bullet to was a kid as well." The Governor says, sneaking a glance at Nicolá in the bleachers.

Daryl spares Lucas a look, his brows furrowed. 

Lucas shakes his head desperately. "I didn't. . ." He can't even argue. Because he did. But it isn't how they're thinking it.

Instead, Daryl glances at Merle. There's a desperate look in his eyes. Begging, almost. That Merle wouldn't betray his own brother just for success, right?

Wrong.

"Y'all know me." Merle throws his arms in the air like a victor, and stares out at the crowd, "I'm gonna do whatever I gotta do to prove. . ." 

He slams his fist into Daryl's gut, "That my loyalty is to this town!" And kicks him in the ribs, twice, for extra measure.

The crowd cheers for Merle.