𝐵𝑢𝑡 𝐻𝑒 𝐷𝑜𝑒𝑠𝑛'𝑡 𝑆𝑝𝑒𝑎𝑘 - 1

The 0.7 led of the blue mechanical pencil dragged across the lined paper of Norman's English notebook. Although in AP English, he never payed attention to what the teacher was saying. Yet he still managed to keep an A+. How did he do it? That's the question everyone else wanted an answer for.

"Alright, class. As of now, I'll need you to find a partner, as we are starting the big end-of-semester project. Your task was explained to you last Friday. Partner up and then you have the rest of the class period to brainstorm."

Norman's smile lit up as he turned to his ginger girlfriend.

"Wanna be partners, Emma?"

"Sorry, Norman! Gilda already asked me to be partners yesterday!" Her smile was as bright as the sun, Norman adored it.

"That's fine, beautif-"

"Have you all found a partner?" The teacher asked, in which the entire class announced an unenthusiastic, 'yes'.

Norman raised his hand.

"Yes, Norman?"

"I don't have a partner, Ms. Isabella." He stated.

"Alright, we'll get you partnered up. Please raise your hand if you do not have a partner."

Strangely, the boy with the crazy raven hair that covered one of his eyes raised his hand. He didn't raise it high and he didn't look away from the journal he was scribbling all over.

He was usually allowed to work alone since his mother is the teacher of the class. This time was different because of the huge assignment.

Norman didn't know the guy's name, but that didn't stop him from having an insane attraction to him. The two boys had been sharing every school- every class, at that, since kindergarten. Yet, no one knew anything about him other than the fact that he's had a straight A report card since whenever he started school. It was expected whenever you found out that his mother is a teacher.

"Norman, Ray, you two will be partners for this assessment. Now, everyone is partnered up, correct?"

Ah, Ray was his name.

Silence

A hand raises.

"Yes, Norman?"

"But, Ms. Isabella, he doesn't speak. How are we supposed to get any work done?"

"That's what you'll have to figure out, Norman, my apologies for the inconvenience my son brings."

Inconvenience? Norman thought. He's your son.

He looks over at Ray. "He brings no inconvenience, Ms. Isabella, thank you."

"If that is all, you may start now. Find a seat with your partner and get started. This project is worth a large percentage of your grade."

Everyone got up to sit with their partner, while Norman already sat right next to Ray. He pushes their single desks together.

"Hello, Ray!" Norman chirped.

Ray looked his way, flashing his version of a smile. Which was just a quick pull of his lip. Almost quick enough to miss.

"So you really don't speak, huh?"

He shakes his head, giving an awkward, apologetic look.

"Well, we can make this work! How about you pull up a document app on your laptop, that way I know your input!"

"Mhm," Ray nods. He opens his laptop, provided by the school, and opens up a document app.

"Alright, Ray, before we actually start the project, we should exchange contact information!"