Rebel Yell - 4

Art by kewstiny on tiktok and YouTube

He opened the door and heard something he didn't expect.

"Last night a little dancer came dancin' to my door
Last night a little angel came pumping on my floor
She said come on baby, I got a license for love
And if it expires, pray help from above, because
In the midnight hour, she cried more, more, more!
With a rebel yell she cried more, more, more!
In the midnight hour babe more, more, more!
With a rebel yell more, more, more!
More, more, more!"

Ray shouting the lyrics of his favorite song. Barely loud enough to hear over the music.

Norman stood at the doorway, too stunned to speak. His eyes held a wide stance as he watched the emo boy dance around his room to his favorite song.

Eventually the song finished and Ray lied himself on the floor of his bedroom. He laughed and giggled with his eyes shut. He was wiping tears away from his eyes and his face was red from dancing around so much. He let out a large breath and opened his eyes.

His eyes widened as soon as he saw the white-haired boy with a red face standing in his doorway.

"N-Norman-"

"R... Ray?"

"I can explain."

"You can," Norman chuckled. "That's amazing! I didn't know you could speak!"

"I-"

"And your singing voice!"

"Uhm-"

"It's beautiful!"

Ray's face turned red from the compliment.

"I enjoy your compliments, Norman, but you weren't supposed to hear that..." Ray said with a melancholy tone.

"Oh no, it's fine, I don't mind at all!"

"You might not mind, but I do... there is a... reason. That I- don't speak," Ray exhaled. "At school."

"What is the reason, if you don't mind telling me of course."

"Well." Ray gulped in hesitation. Did he want to tell Norman? "I just. I don't want to have friends. I don't think they'd let me focus."

"But I have friends and we're head to head at the top of the school!"

"Yeah, but you're naturally smart. I don't think I am. I've always left all my time for studying."

"Then we could study together! Like- a study date!"

"Study d-date?"

"Yeah!" Norman chuckled. "I enjoy your company to a very large extent and I would do anything to be your friend!"

Ray's face flushed to a dark red color as he thought about being able to speak around Norman. And. Being able to call Norman his friend.

It was fantasy of Ray's. He's always wanted school friends. Or- a friend at least. He smiled widely.

"I would love to be your friend, Norman!" He giggled.

"You're adorable." Norman tilted his head to be able to look at Ray in his eyes.

"Don't be gay." Ray said in a joking tone.

Because he may've wanted him to be a little gay. Even if he did have a girlfriend.

"I'm not gay, but I am pansexual! I hope that doesn't bother you too much."

"It doesn't at all. I'm bisexual."

"That's great! I've never had a friend who was part of the community!"

"But you're friends with Don, he's omni. And I'm pretty sure you talk to Gilda. She's a lesbian. Emma's bi too. Everyone in your friend group from lambda high is some form of gay."

"Oh- I didn't. I didn't know."

"My friend Gillian told me."

"So, do you actually have conversations with other people?" Norman asked. "That way I know whether to hold a grudge or not." He says in a joking way.

Ray laughs in an awkward way. "I do talk to other people. Usually, it's just people who aren't at our school or people who don't know people in our school."

"That makes sense, but you do not have to completely give up on making friends in school. I know you are not only smart from putting all your time into studying. That's why you're usually scribbling on your notebook or drawing or even ripping up paper."

"I-"

"Sometimes, Ray, friends are the best thing for you at school. They are much more than a simple distraction. They make school such an amazing place. A place that you want to be at! A place that you'll wake up and look forward to being at! School friends could change your entire view of school. School is a good place to socialize. You really should try it out."

"I don't know.."

"You could spend time with me and my friends! I wouldn't mind and neither would they. I would love to get to know you more because you seem interesting and cool. So what do you say?"

Ray hesitated before speaking again. "I mean- it's worth a shot." He finally decided to give it a shot. Although he wasn't showing it, he was very excited to be able to hang out with a group of friends.

"Alright! I'm so excited!" Norman smiled widely.