13. - LA VIE EN ROSE

𝙪𝙣𝙗𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙙

thirteen. the first york princess!

 — the first york princess!

MELISSA WAS STILL in a fit of fury as she stormed down the hallway, the door to her sister's chambers slamming shut with a decisive clank

MELISSA WAS STILL in a fit of fury as she stormed down the hallway, the door to her sister's chambers slamming shut with a decisive clank. She could not quite believe they would be that foolish — mother, at least, should be able to see sense! But, it seemed, their newfound power had utterly blinded her family, and there was nothing to be done about it. What could be done, however, was in Melissa's hands.

"Where's the fire?" Richie asked rhetorically, joining her in rapidly traversing the expanse of the corridor from a side door.

"I am going to request an audience from Edward." She announced.

"The king?" Her brother's brows furrowed. "Why?"

"Mother is dead set on arranging marriages for our sisters. There is nothing to be done about Anne or Mary — they are both old enough to wed. But Cate ... perhaps I can help Cate. She is only seven, still has images of knights in shining armor sweeping her off her feet. She does not deserve a husband who will hate her."

"And what are you going to ask the king?" Richie frowned. "He surely will not back down if he's already agreed to it. 'Twill make him look weak."

Melissa stopped and brought a hand to her forehead.

"What do you suggest I do, brother? Cate is our sister — our youngest sister. She never asked for any of this; none of us asked for this! We were all inadvertently dragged in through Elizabeth, who seems to want all the luxury of being queen and none of its duties!"

Her twin bit his lower lip. "Who is she betrothed to, anyway?"

"The Duke of Buckingham, or so mother says."

"Edward definitely will not back down from that agreement, especially since it is Buckingham." The brunet asserted. "I believe this might be a sort of punishment, in his mind. Buckingham's father fought for Lancaster in the First Battle of St. Albans; to marry the duke to our sister will not only be a way of binding him to the crown, but also to pay insult to his standing and paramountcy."