49. - WE HAVE IT ALL

𝙪𝙣𝙗𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙙

forty-nine. the court is a'bubbling!

 — the court is a'bubbling!

COURTIERS SWEPT OUT of her way as she walked past them, bowing and curtsying as they muttered respectful greetings

COURTIERS SWEPT OUT of her way as she walked past them, bowing and curtsying as they muttered respectful greetings. They averted their eyes, but she could feel their scrutiny nevertheless, their ever-present judgment being a simple fact of her life now. It was not something she could change, so she had gotten used to it, and now here she was, pretending like something as simple as walking down a hallway wasn't hard, like their gossiping and rumormongering didn't bother her.

"Ignore them," Richie muttered, his strides as comparably powerful as hers. "They have no purpose in their lives but to whisper about yours."

Melissa sent him a small smile. "I know, brother. Trust me, I am fine."

The look on his face was skeptical. "Are you? Even with everything that has happened recently?"

"Especially with all of that, seeing as we are past it. I am only keen on looking to the future."

"Then you are more forgiving than I am," he sneered, doubtless thinking about their eldest sister. "Her temerity is shocking, writing to you with demands in the way that she has. I would not entertain them if I were you."

"You are mistaken if you believe I have forgiven Elizabeth." Melissa shot back. "But this is not the time and place to be discussing her. I have a letter to deliver to Edward."

Richie shook his head. "As I said, I would not even consider it, if I were you. What if she worms her way back into the palace?"

"She will not," his sister sighed as they reached the door to the king's solar. "But, again, now is not the time to be debating on that. We will talk after I have discussed her news with Edward."

Her twin bit his lip, but nodded grimly. "I will be with Cate in the gardens. She has invited Buckingham out on a stroll."

Melissa's brows rose. "Has she, now? Well, then, you simply must come to my chambers afterward and tell me how it went."