22. - EARTH

𝙪𝙣𝙗𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙙

twenty-two. the winds of change!

 — the winds of change!

RAINWATER WASHES AWAY all sins

RAINWATER WASHES AWAY all sins. Or so the poets said.

Personally, Melissa Plantagenet (née Woodville) did not think much of it at all. Though the country air always smelled lovely after a rainfall, the drawbacks were much too strong — grime, mud, humidity and all. She had many complaints in those regards, but she bore the hardships with grace — it was she, after all, who had insisted upon riding into town on horseback. Her ladies were not mightily pleased with the circumstances, either, despite their efforts to show otherwise, so really, who was she to complain?

"To be fair," the duchess allowed herself. "It was not yet raining when we set out."

Though the overcast weather should have told her something. She, however, had been hoping they could make good time in and out of town before the clouds did more than just rumble.

"Is it not just lovely, Lissa?"

Her sister, Catherine was the only one pleased to be out and about in such weather. For good reason, Melissa supposed. After a life in the countryside, being stuck in a palace for two years had not done Cate's constitution any favors, and so she was delighted to be back among trees, rain, fog, and yes — even mud. Melissa herself had never been fond of that life, preferred a warm hearth to a dance in the rain, so it was that experience her reply was based off of.

"You and I must have a very different definition of 'lovely', Cate."

The little blonde pouted from her place a little ways behind the duchess. Adjusting the reins on her horse, she accelerated her pace, slowing down once she was next to her older sister.

"Why must you spoil all my fun?"

"I let you play in the mud, dance in the rain, and climb trees like a rowdy peasant boy. I would hardly call that spoiling your fun."