Of Gettin' Hitched & Gettin' It In

Dria

Sahir is always a pleasure.

I sip on a flute of champagne, watching a flame-haired woman in a glittering dress laugh at something a suited, horned demon is whispering in her ear.

So, yeah, I have to be mated in order to ascend the throne.

Don't be too upset. No one is forcing me to do anything. Mated doesn't necessarily mean I need to go get did, if you get what I'm saying. The truth? The truth is no one knows what it means. People just assume when reading demonic texts that because we're demons marriage or mating means getting it in and getting it on. It could be either or both— getting wed in some official capacity or having sex with a partner of your choice. Typically, both deeds are done just to be safe. What amounts to a wedding and the culmination of a honeymoon.

When you think about it, its still annoying and archaic. A woman isn't allowed to rule without getting married or sexing someone up?

There's an upside though. As prospective Queen, my mate is my choice. The Court can put forth candidates but ultimately I pick whoever I want. There's not a thing anybody can do about it.

I eye Adriel's tall, handsome profile. There's just something about his face that's beautiful. The curve of his jawline. The thick lashes over shapely violet eyes. The fall of his soft, dark locs down his broad shoulders and back. I love long hair. I love Adriel, too. I have almost from the first moment I saw him.

He's been my protector since I won my first bout thirteen years ago. The problem is that being my guard is all he thinks about. His dedication to his job is also one of the reasons I love him though. It made sense that he would reject my feelings as a blushing, stammering teenager who could barely look at him shirtless. But I am of age now. On my way to the Throne of Hell, no less. Old enough to take the throne and old enough do whoever and whatever I want.

I feel my eyes transform again, sliding from a very human brown with round pupils to scarlet and slit pupils. Part of me wants to take what I want, the consequences be damned.

A fanged demon in a cape and tux walks towards me, arms outstretched. He holds a silver handled cane in one hand, a woman on either side of him.

He sweeps a low bow as he stops within the circle of my protectors.

"Still a little pudgy around the middle, Lady Alexandria. Are you sure you are up to the job of being Queen of The Underworld?"

Delsius is a simple demon and of the Old World Order. All of what he says or doesn't say to someone in my position is simply another line in The Underworld's drawn-out play of drama, power, and hierarchy struggles. Honestly, as for what he just said, he isn't one to talk as his belly is rounder than mine. Delsius likely holds the opinion that a woman needs to be skinny as a twig and easy eye candy to do half the job a man can do, no matter how sexist and illogical that is.

"I welcome all challengers," I tell him, inclining my chin in a general show of respect. Instead of responding to what most would consider an insult and a challenge, I opt to give an air of graciousness. My protectors are watching him like hawks, their eyes displaying their displeasure with his words, ready to cut him down at the merest sign of more disrespect or physical threat. Adriel's violet eyes have darkened to an almost eggplant color and his hand is on the pommel of his sword. He knows better than to react over so small a slight. That same savage part of me imagines he cares enough to cut this mutherfucka's hand off for talking to me like that though.

Adriel

Mona steps into the circle of guards and touches Dria's arm, leaning close and probably talking trash about Delsius for the slight he delivered. Her friends come with her to these parties and political events but they often stay out of our way in case we need to surround her, hence the entourage tagging behind.

"Once you're sitting on that throne, I guarantee you he won't be talking that shit no more," I hear Mona whisper to Dria after Delisus has made his greeting, inquired about business, and gone on his way. She smooths her yellow dress down her body then grabs a glass of champagne from a passing waiter, looking irritated.

My own patience also wears thin and my hand itches on the warm hilt of my blade. The old goat will not insult my Queen again. Our Queen, that is.

Calypso, or Lippy, dressed in a bright blue dress the color of Caribbean waters, comes to Dria's side as well.

I like the two women but the Queen is the priority even if she insists that we treat anyone in her party as important enough to protect.

I hear the bullet before I see it zip by. Glass shatters, the nearest wall of antique mirrors falling to pieces. A pure, cleansing smell fills the air as more shots are fired, stinging my nose. It cuts through all like demonic energy in the room like a hot knife through butter. All at once, there's a rush of motion as people scramble and dive for exits.

Because even demons scream and scatter when bullets full of holy water spray the room.

"Let's move!" I call out. The Nine gather around Alexandria and backtrack towards the fireplace, keeping her low to decrease the chances of her getting hit. I move in close and grasp the back of her neck in my non-dominant left hand to make sure she stays down.

The fireplace we came here through is in view. Garrick and Therius flank the grate and rush us through. Alexandria, Wynferd, Fane, and I pass through while Damus and Eric stay back to help the group that came with us.

"That didn't last long," Dria grumbles as we exit the fireplace into the smaller, more modest parlor of her home in The Underworld. Calcifer comes in last, waving his hand over the grate. The rolling green flames vanish, extinguished.

We even managed to get all her shaken friends back through with us. All shaking except for Calypso and Mona. They've been in The Underworld about as long or longer than Dria and they're a couple of rough riders.

This has happened so many times at this point that no one should be shocked. Word traveling around is that The Church got wind of Alexandria's coming ascension to the Throne. Certain sects among them forget or don't believe that the Queen of The Underworld is part of a structure that brings balance to the realms of Heaven, Earth, and Hell. Its just a lot of "death to the demons" with those guys.

"This is why we want you to stay in the house until after you're crowned," I call out after her in a tone that even sounds nagging to me as she walks away.

"I hear you," she shouts back, going up the stairs. I can tell she's tired as she pauses at the top by the forced smile she shows everyone as she turns around. She announces, "Everyone is welcomed to stay the night here. There's plenty of room."

Her hospitality doesn't stop her from disappearing into her chambers upstairs with her friends.

I look at the rest of The Nine and we seem to be in silent agreement. At least she's finally in the house where we can keep a closer eye on her.