Grapevine

Dria

"I saw Adriel tonight."

I sigh, standing in front of the fire place in the parlor. My nails claw the mantle.

"You came all the way here just to tell me that?"

Rewna slips out of the sinuous black flames she uses to conceal herself in the darkest shadows, revealing her beautiful horns and shimmery blue skin. She is dressed in a flap of a skirt made of sequins that only covers the front and the back leaving her curvy hips naked. A matching lamé triangle bikini top, bare feet, and numerous gold and silver bangles on her wrists and ankles complete the outfit.

Rewna kneels before me.

"Seriously, your Highness. The shock of leaving you must've driven him completely insane, girl."

"What do you mean?"

She takes a breath, hesitating.

"I sensed a soul...in need, your Highness. I came to him and found out it was your man, Adriel. He, er, enlisted my services."

I take a deep breath against the pain. We're all big grown demons here. Rewna is a kind of demon that feeds off of confessions made to the darkness and the desires of her prey. Adriel can sleep with whoever he wants, right. Then why are my fists clenched and why am I biting my lip as Rewna tells her story?

"That's enough. I don't need to hear more."

"Wait. You'll want to hear this. He wanted me to be you."

"What?"

She gets to her feet, smiling now that she knows I won't order Therius in here to cut her head off and mount it on the wall.

"I didn't touch him, your Highness. Well, not much. I couldn't do it to him. It was freaking me out. I left him...for you."

My heart throbs and I take a deep silent breath. Demons are usually characterized as cutthroat and generally untrustworthy. Rewna practically has a heart of gold to have come to me like this when she could've fed well on Adriel and had some good sex in the process.

"He wants you," she tells me. "Why have an imitation when you can gave the real thing?"

Wants me? That can't be for real but I'm surging with hope inside.

"Your loyalty will be rewarded, Rewna. Where is he?"

You know every movie you've ever seen where there's stretch of desert road and some sorry, dusty ass motel waiting for weary travelers and escaped convicts to check in and become a crime or experience a crime? Those are real and they're usually in-betweens for The Underworld, meaning they're part of Hell.

I feel him before I find him. I've always felt him. Staring up at the motel, I imagine myself at his side and I am, a common demon ability. My eyes adjust to the darkness of the room and I see Adriel laying on the bed. Right where Rewna said she left him. All big, spread out, and scrumptious-looking. Mmmm.

"Adriel," I call softly.

He takes a deep breath at the sound of my voice, wakened and brought to life all at once. He sits up and looks directly at me. His eyes clear slowly.

"Dria," he whispers.

"Good," I say. I smile a little. "You're not totally wasted since you can tell me apart from other lusty demons."

"What are you doing here, Dria?"

The sound of his voice has my thighs clenching. Its low, intimate in a way he has never spoken to me before. I guess since there's no formality between us with me not being Queen quite yet and the whole firing thing so Adriel feels like he can address me any kinda way.

"Rewna told me where you were."

"Why?"

I go to him, touch his cheek. Adriel stares up at me with glittering eyes like he's never seen me before and I'm the most wondrous thing he's ever laid eyes on. Like he can't believe I'm here, this close. I bend and kiss him, tasting him. After all this time, it feels so good to finally do this. When he doesn't pull away but lightly kisses me back, I press closer and straddle his lap.

When I look at his face, there's a feverish gleam in his violet eyes now. I like that look. It's hot and bothered. It's a look that's for me and for me alone.

"You...you're real. You're here." His hands squeeze my shoulders and run up an down my arms. I shiver at his touch. Feels so damn good.

"I am," I say, kissing him again.

He moans and leans into me, in return taking my lips with such abandon that I moan too.

His hands raise my dress up my hips, fingers playing with the edges of my lace panties before squeezing my ass.

"If you wanted me, you should have said it," I breath, relishing in his kisses as his lips trail from my shoulder up my neck.

"I know," he says, then he's kissing my lips again and lifting me up. He carries me to the table by the curtained window and sets me down, pushing aside a coat and duffel bag that are resting there. The bag is unbalanced by the movement and falls to the floor with a loud thump.

He stops, like the sound brought him to his senses, and I almost go crazy.