Intervention, Pt. 2

Adriel

Reaching up, I draw the dusty cover from the towering object in front of me. It is hard as hell to find one of these things.

A quiet, cold room in the old cathedral is where I found the stone statue of an angel mounted on a pedestal. The angel bears a bow and arrow.

I feel them coming before I see them. I turn as the wall behind me opens up, revealing the burning landscape of one The Underworld's more popular destinations.

"Friends don't let friends ruin relationships. Especially not while drunk," Calcifer announces as the Nine step through the portal.

"Not that it's any of your business," I tell them, "but I'm sober as of right now."

"I don't understand how things got this bad this quick," says Eric.

"I think I do," says Therius. The brother is not a talker so this is something.

"I didn't know there were 'things' between you two," Wynferd shakes his head.

Calcifer says, "I don't think any of us really put the pieces together until now."

"We knew," Garrick raises his hand and Kel nods.

"How'd you two guess?" Calcifer asks, disbelieving as he runs a hand through his red and ginger hair.

"The signs were there," Kel answers.

Like a bunch of gossiping old people. I shake my head to clear it of their bullshit and run my hands over my face.

"What do you mean?" I ask Therius.

He looks at me calmly, eyebrow raised like it's obvious.

"You know you kinda rigid, right?"

"Rigid," I repeat.

"Yeah." I continue to glare at him and he goes, "Don't look at me like that. Eric already talked to Dria. It's your turn now."

Everyone's silence is nothing but wordless agreement.

I give in, throwing up my hands and can the glare. Whatever.

"Listen then. You decided a long time ago that you were going to be Dria's guardian and nothing else. Well, she wants you to be something else. She could've had any of us or Sahir or anybody. Hell, Lucifer himself. But she chose you and she keeps choosing you. Any of us, any of the other Nine, including me, would've been down if she'd offered."

I resist the urge to want cut all my homies' throats for thinking of Dria outside of any categories other than boss and friend.

"You all feel like this?"

Damus and Fane nod. Eric nods while looking away and not meeting my eye. Kel tilts his head one way and back. Wynferd shrugs while Garrick meets my gaze head-on with no remorse.

"She's a peach, man," Calcifer says, shrugging like he's just putting that out there.

"In essence, my man...you hardheaded," Therius says. Just to the point, this brother. No cushioning for the fall.

Eric elaborates further, "You hurt her feelings so hard that the only thing she could do to show you how much was to fire you and banish you away from her. And that's what it took to break you: Not being able to do your job."

Kel points at the angel statue. "Um, has anyone noticed this thing? I'm pretty sure we shouldn't be standing this close to it."

"Come on, man, Eric's getting to the good part," Calcifer complains.

"This isn't your favorite soap opera, Cal," Wynferd says.

"Once Eric and Therius finish telling El off, we can all go home, back to our Queen," Calcifer reasons confidently. "Forget the statue, let's stay on topic."

Now I really want to knock some heads. "If all you fools is here, who's with Dria?" How could I be so stupid? I should've noticed sooner.

"Tigress, Calypso, Mona, Capella, and every other guard we got. Don't worry about her. As soon as you come to your senses, she'll get her best back," Fane says.

"What are you doing here with this thing anyway, El?" Kel asks, eyeing the statue.

Might as well come out with it even if they think I'm crazy.

This angel came to me. He told me that Alexandria and I have history that goes beyond The Underworld.

I tell them about the Arrow. Heaven's Arrow.

Fane is familiar with the thing. "Too much of a risk if you ask me," he says.

Calcifer nods his agreement. "You either get a vision of exactly what it is you want and how to get it. Or, he stretches the word out, you get toasted. Bob's your uncle and ashes are your memory."

Wynferd glares at me. "That angel turned you on to this didn't he. Has it ever occurred to you that he might be in league with The Church? You know how it is, one less demon in the world and they all sittin' around dusting their hands of us."

"I don't think he's like that," I say. "Look, this is not a discussion. This is something I think I need to do."

Everyone starts in on me, talking over each other, telling me that I'm crazy, just like I thought they would.

"Dria doesn't want you back in a matchbox, you dumbass—"

"Think about what you're saying—"

"Are you sure you're not still drunk?"

"We came here to have an intervention for you about Dria, not talk you out of killing yourself, which is obviously what you need—"

Therius speaks up again. Damn, this is the most I've ever heard this brother talk.

"Y'all both got me fucked up if you think I'mma sit around and watch you or Alexandria fall apart. And you and the boys are like brothers to me, El." He points at The Underworld behind him. "That's saying a lot, all things considered. Us living in Hell and all." Everyone started to talk again but Therius spoke first and they listened. "I feel like you all do. El shouldn't risk his life for a bunch of memories that he may or may not get...but if he thinks this is what he's gotta do, it's what he's gotta do."