Heaven's Arrow

Dria

I'm scrolling through pictures on my phone. My thumb stalls over a picture of me, Adriel, Mona, and Calypso. He didn't want to be in the photo. Thought he should be doing his job, not slacking off enjoying the nightlife. But his arm is around my waist and he has this cocky little smile on his lips that always makes me think he enjoyed that moment just as much as I did. I sigh, lingering on the picture before thumbing on. It's all part of my silent farewell tour.

Calypso is watching me, flicking her manicured nails and looking sad.

She asks quietly, "Is there something you want to tell me?"

"Nope." I'm not telling anyone what I plan to do. Once it's done, Adriel can get back to his job and I will do mine in peace. I know I'm missing a bigger picture here, such as what else will be missing if I don't have a heart anymore. I don't know what I'll be without it. Colder. Crueler, I imagine. But I also don't know what I'll be if I don't get my feelings of pride and my feelings for Adriel under control. You might be thinking that cutting out my heart and letting this Lucil eat it should kill me. If I were human, it would. But for demons the heart isn't just an organ that pumps blood, it's truly symbolic of everything else that it represents. My love for Adriel resides deep in my heart of hearts and getting rid of it with this ritual will sever that connection to him.

"I'll go get us some drinks. Don't get into any trouble while I'm gone or before Mona and Tigress get back." She stares at me for a moment and I think she's onto me until she gets up and goes for the door.

Eric and Calcifer burst into the room, almost knocking Lippy over.

"You gotta come, my Queen."

Eric starts to say Adriel's name and I hold up a hand, sighing.

"Y'all just don't understand. Adriel and me are done." Unless he wants to come through and give me some good news. I'm not so desperate for him that I'll take whatever I can get. I need him to give too.

"Dria, for real. Adriel is in trouble. He needs you. Right now."

"What kind of trouble?" Lippy asks and I give her a look that says to butt out.

Making an impatient sound, he comes over and grabs me by the wrist. Fear streaks through me as he turns and half runs me towards the door, waiting for me to catch up while still moving. Eric would never grab me like that and haul ass like the place was on fire unless it was an emergency. Calcifer is moving with us, looking grim.

"Adriel went out and found some holy artifact— a statue of an angel holding a bow and arrow. He says its called Heaven's Arrow. He says he needs it show him his memories of the past before he came to The Underworld. Trouble is, it will either do that or turn his demon ass to ash. We need to get there before he activates it, or whatever."

By the time he finishes explaining, I'm running behind him and Calcifer leading the way.

Even balso are not totally immune to holy objects. If we're being naughty, or doing something evil, crosses can burn us. Some holy objects can hurt us regardless of what class demon we are simply because they were crafted to do that, repel all demons. Those are rare though. Why would Adriel go looking for something like that? I don't know what Heaven's Arrow is but it sounds a lot bigger than your standard cross. I run a little faster and the others pick up the pace.

I can't be too late. I just can't be.

Adriel

The debate continued. It's more like they were debating at me though because you know I've already made up my mind, with or without their consent.