Sad songbird

I looked at the clock and realized it was midnight, I don't know how many days it has been because I've been using sleep as an escape, but lately even in my dreams I can't escape reality. I don't know if I'll ever escape.

I usually sang when I was sad because my mom sang lullabies to me when I had nightmares.. That was the only memory I had of her. Her songs.... But I never could remember her face... I remember my favorite lullaby she would sing to me...

Once I finished singing I saw a shadow in the doorway of Lewis's room. The person turned on the light and the person was revealed to be Lewis.

I whimpered and scooted to the back of my cage. He grabbed a glass of milk and grabbed me out of my cage, and placed me in front of him at the table, he took a sip of his milk.

"Where did you learn that song?"

"M-My mom sang it to me when I had nightmares..."

"What happened to her?"

"She died.."

"How?"

"Humans.."

"Oh... What was she like?"

"I don't remember... She died when I was 8.."

"How old are you now?"

"20..."

"Sing for me."

In fear of being punished I did as told and started to sing a song I heard from human singing apps.

"Legend has it that the moss grows on the north side of the-" I was interrupted by Lewis, "Something from the heart. A song no one has ever heard."

"....."

"Life as a borrower was scary... Fear of almost getting caught... Humans have it easy... Food is given to them, they don't have a fear in the world... Borrowers on the other hand never thought past tomorrow... We never thought we would survive past ten... Living in fear of getting caught, tortured killed... Well now I'm going to be the villain in their history... The one that gets them all caught and killed... I will forever be fearful of humans because of you...  I could never figure out what to do... I follow all your rules in fear like a peasant following a Tyrant King... The voices in my head scream... Getting louder with each passing day... I'm losing my sanity... Death is looking pretty good right now..."

"......."

"Wake up."