I Can't Handle Change

March 16th, 20164:05 am ESTQuantico, Virginia13 hours, 18 minutes since the disappearance of Sophie Troy

March 16th, 2016
4:05 am EST
Quantico, Virginia
13 hours, 18 minutes since the disappearance of Sophie Troy

Penelope Garcia fiddled with her computer slightly, connecting it to the TV in the briefing room. She let the surveillance video play for a while, so the congressman could see what she saw.

"See that shadow on the wall?" asked Garcia, pointing to the video. "It shifted as the sun went down, but now it's back. The video was on a six-hour loop before it repeated which is why no one noticed it."

"So this was organized and premeditated," Morgan said with confidence.

"Okay, so even though this isn't the real footage, the lobby would have been crowded with tourists at the time," JJ reasoned, "how was she taken in broad daylight from a public place?"

"Ironically, it may have been easier to kidnap her in a crowd," Reid interjected, "it's noisy, hard to see, people are distracted. If she was injected with a sedative, the kidnappers might just look like friends or family helping someone who's feeling ill."

"We'll set up a phone trace," Hotch said as he entered the briefing room. "Where is Rossi?"

"Umm...Rossi is coming up from Organized Crime now," Garcia said happily.

"Great, everyone sit down," Hotch said sternly. The team looked at him, confused, but complied. Once they were all seated around the table, Hotch surveyed them for a moment before speaking. "As you all know, five years ago we had a showdown with known terrorist Ian Doyle. As a result, our team member and press liaison Elizabeth Doyle was killed." The team looked at him confused. "There is no easy way to say this, but for the past five years Eliza has in Europe, in hiding."

"You're joking," Morgan said his eyebrows furrowing.

"I'm not."

"So she'd been alive for five years and never bothered to tell us?" Reid asked, infuriated.

"We couldn't tell you," JJ interjected.

"Eliza...she's who I was hired to replace?" Tara asked, "it took you guys like two years to replace her."

"There was a reason for that, we thought she would be coming back a lot sooner," Hotch confessed.

"Not that I'm not grateful she's alive and excited to see her again, but why are you telling us this now?" asked Morgan.

"We have a lead on the case from the Organized Crime unit," Hotch said, "and Eliza is going to help us with this lead." There was a moment of silence before it was interrupted by a knock at the door.

"You ready?" It was Rossi's voice. Reid felt his heart beating in his chest, and he didn't know how he felt. He was mad she didn't tell anyone she was alive, relieved she was alive and angry that she hadn't come back even after they killed Doyle.