Cold Cold Cold

February 22nd, 2017Washington D

February 22nd, 2017
Washington D.C.

Emily and Eliza sat nervously, watching as Declan finished reading the last of the files. They'd been sitting in that office for over an hour, sorting through information and giving the most important of it to Declan.

Declan sighed, flipping the pages down. "There's not a lot of good news in this file."

"That's why he needs your help," Eliza stated like it was obvious.

"I'm glad you're here," Emily said, hitting Eliza's arm for her rude comments.

"Yeah, I guess I got tired of having to owe my little sister the "favor of a lifetime,'" Declan said sarcastically, closing the file.

"Not the time Declan," Eliza muttered, flipping him off outside of her mother's peripheral vision.

"Spencer is being framed," Emily stated, interrupting the siblings. "It's a long story and we will fill you in, but we need you to know he didn't kill anyone."

"Nonetheless, the circumstantial evidence is compelling," Declan said in a grave tone. "For better or for worse, this trial is going to be about what can be proven, not what actually happened."

"Spencer said the same thing this morning," Emily replied.

"He's a realist," Declan smiled. "That's a good quality to have in a client."

"Does this mean you'll take the case?" Eliza asked hopefully.

"It means I'll sit down with. See how it goes and take it from there," he replied, turning his attention towards Eliza. "Are we even sure he wants his ex-girlfriend's brother as his attorney."

"Oh fuck off," Eliza replied. "You're just saying that to get under my skin."

"Is it working?" Declan asked with a shit-eating grin. Eliza was about to retort when her phone rang. Making a quick promise to annihilate him, she stepped out of the room. Declan watched her leave, turning back to Emily with a shake of his head. Declan turned back to Emily, worry laced on his face. "She okay?"

Emily took a breath, looking out the window towards Eliza standing in the bullpen. She let out a laugh, continuing to talk once she caught her breath. Looking back at Declan she gave a soft smile. "She's hurt," Emily admitted. "But I think she'll be okay. She's strong, strongest person I know."

Declan nodded approvingly, getting up from his chair. He was half way out the door when Emily spoke again, causing him to turn.

"He is innocent, Declan," Emily promised. "That has to count for something."

"Truth be told, I'm not worried about how Reid will react if we lose this case," he said, transferring the case file from his lap to the pile on Emily's desk. "I'm worried about how Eliza will act."