Chapter 7

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters or the Naruto world, those belong to Kishimoto. Again, this story is mature and includes strong sexual themes and adult language. This chapter in particular includes character death, as I'm sure you picked up on in previous chapters. 

Chapter 7

Naruto

Hinata made it for almost 5 months.

I had hoped for longer, but a part of me is glad she's no longer hurting.

Things happened fast after she told me months ago. I went to Sakura just like Hinata wanted and I found comfort in her body. Not just physically either, emotionally it was amazing to have my best friend back. I was able to bask in her warmth and sunshine, supported by her in all ways again.

I gave my notice to the Hokage office, terminating my job. Kakashi wouldn't accept, simply giving me time off for as long as I needed. My days were spent taking care of the kids, Hinata, and the house. I gave all of myself to my family, except the part I saved for Sakura. She was the only selfish thing I allowed myself to have.

Every night when the house grew quiet and Hinata slept peacefully, I sneaked away to be with my lover. I could handle a lot of things, but with this weight on my shoulders I couldn't bear it all. I needed her and she willingly gave herself to me.

It was easy to fall back in love with her. Not that I ever really stopped, but I've held myself back for years and suddenly I'm feeling it all again. I love her. And I know her feelings have come to the surface too. We can't be ourselves most of the day, so our feelings explode every night. And man do they explode.

Even getting the letter from Sasuke that next morning didn't put a damper on my mood. If anything, it gave me a good laugh before I had to face reality.

My wife was dying.

I loved Sakura, but I also loved Hinata. It was a different kind of love, something more sweet and innocent then the unyielding feelings I felt for my pink haired friend. And I was going to lose her.

So I put my all into making her happy, cooking her favorite things, going to the Hyuga compound whenever she felt up to it, inviting her family over for dinner at least once a week when she could no longer make the trip herself. And when she asked to set a weekly dinner inviting Sakura and Sarada over, I said yes with no hesitation. I thought it would be awkward, eating with the two women I loved, but it wasn't. Hinata smiled the most when Sakura joined us for meals. When I asked her about it, she said it brought her happiness to see the two of us interacting, that she knew I would be okay after she was gone.

But I'm not okay.

Something told me to stay home tonight. Long after Hinata fell asleep, I remained in bed simply holding her and breathing in her scent. Her hair was thinner now, no longer thick, and she had lost weight. I never commented on her appearance, other than to tell her she was still beautiful to me. And she was. I thought of our life together. The little moments that brought me to her and the decisions I made that led to me marrying her. Just as I'll never stop loving Sakura, I'll never stop loving Hinata either.

So I stayed, knowing Sakura would worry but feeling like I needed to be with Hinata. And I'm so glad I did.

As my eyes closed and my breathing evened out, I felt Hinata tense up in her sleep. My eyes flew open to find her already staring at me, face smiling in happiness. Then I felt her life force slowly leaving her. I wanted to panic, to shout, to do everything I could to keep her there with me. Instead, I kept my eyes on hers. Allowing her to go peacefully just like she had wanted.