0.10 || betrayal

When Michael unlocks the door I am laying on the couch. Quickly I jump off to let him know I'm home.

"You're back." He mumbles standing in the middle of the living room. The pain of getting left behind comes back.

He sights deeply.

"I'm so sorry. But can't you understand how much I love it out there?" His eyes show me how desperate he is.

I come closer to him.

"Don't you understand that I'm worried you could never come home? All the men in our family died in service of the army and you're doing everything to be the next one. There is only you and me left now. You can't leave me alone."

Now he looks at me as if he just understood me for the very first time and takes a deep breath.

"The navy is my family and so are you. Please don't make me choose."

I press my lips together at his words and stare at him, giving him a disappointed look.

"Alright." Still hurt, I nod. I can't win this. And I understand what he means and how he feels. Nevertheless It won't change how I feel about it. And his eyes tell me ke knows that.

The next day I leave earlier from work because Bucky told me he will be alone on the boat. Kinda excited I walk to the haven and when I see him working on the boat, I smile and wave, getting overwhelmed by the feelings I have for him. When I enter the boat I run into his arms because I missed him so much. Having Bucky not around me feels like something is missing and I feel completed and whole when he is with me. We laugh both at my excitement and I can't handle myself and kiss him. "You look good" Bucky smiles and strokes a loose strand behind my ear. "That's thanks to you" I praise him, stroking his cheek. I just can't believe how a single man can make me feel so happy and careless. Someone who keeps me warm in the cold, someone who spends me light in the dark. The whole world is just so beautiful with him.

"So did you talk to Michael?"

"Yes" I sight. "You helped me understand him, really, but I still feel...lonely without him."

He softly touches my hips and observes my face, while I talk.

"And what if..." he starts, biting his lip. "What if we spend Christmas together?"

The hopeful look he gives me makes me melt. My heart starts beating so fast, it almost jumps out.

"You really want that?" I ask in total shock but with a growing smile.

"I do." His hand lands on my cheek, his thumb stroking bottom lip. A whole fire starts blazing in my abdomen and when he kisses me me I almost fall over.

"Uhm...What the fuck is going on?"

We jump apart when I hear Michael's growling voice. I look into his face tells me his angry.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, feeling the heat overcoming me.

"I wanted to pick you up and then Aaron told me you went here."

He grabs my arm and pulls me over to him.

"Maddie, do you even have an idea who that is?"

Everything inside me turns. I want to puke. How did he find out?

I stay silent and walk backwards back to Bucky. The shock in Michael's eyes, the betrayal, speaks for itself.

"He is the winter soldier. I watched the news just a few minutes ago. He is a killer, Maddie."

"Don't call him like that" I say a little too snappy but Bucky doesn't deserve to be insulted like this.

"You know?!" He screams out of shock. "Why are you defending him? He is dangerous and a criminal!"

"He's not! He is the kindest person alive."

I turn over to Bucky who looks so hurt, I actually start getting angry at Michael.

"Tell him." I demand and it takes him a while to find the words.

"I am not the winter soldier anymore. I don't kill anymore and I would never hurt Madison in any way. I don't have the heart to do that. " I spoke so quietly, I just hope Michael understood him.

Michael is now in a state of anger where he just stares, thinking about his next move.

"You're coming home with me now and then we talk about it. You're not thinking clearly."

"Yes, I do. I'm not coming with you. " I say without thinking and leave the three of us shocked.

"Maddie, I think you should go." Bucky whispers behind me and for a moment I feel betrayed.

"No! Why should I? So he can tell me how bad you are? No thanks, I already heard what he thinks about this. He's being mean to you and I can't accept that because you don't deserve that."

The look on his face hurts me. Did he really think I would listen to my brother when I met the real Bucky? Michael knows shit about him.

And then I understand. The struggle of choosing. I love Michael, he is my brother but Bucky is important to me too. God damn it, I totally fell for him. For his stunning smile, his beautiful eyes and his huge heart. I would do anything for him and I don't even mind.

"Fine," Michael says tiredly, giving us a last look, and leaves.

I feel like crying but am too mad. Who does he think he is to tell me to leave the man I totally fell for behind? Nobody has the right to tell me what to do or what to choose, not Michael, not Bucky, Aaron or anyone else.

I really don't want to betray my brother, but in this case, Bucky needs my protection.

----

| author's note: |

Merry christmas to everyone who celebrates!

What did u get for christmas?

And what do you think is going to happen next? Do u think Michael is going to accept their relationship or not?

This is the last chapter for this year so see you in 2022!