1️⃣💘 | 🖤❤️💙 going to the beach 🖤❤️💙

A/N for this oneshot, I use they/them pronouns for Peko. The pronouns I use for them will depend on the universe (or something, idk, you probably get the point). Like, in TNB I'll be using she/her for them cuz reason that I don't really feel like explaining at the moment. So yeah.

Akane barely waited to put her stuff down at the spot Peko and Ibuki had chosen before dashing for the water.*

Peko watched as Ibuki began to cheer for Akane. They didn't completely understand why, but that was the case for a lot of things Ibuki, and Akane, did.

As Peko was about to start laying out their towels, Akane, with the water now more than halfway to her knees, had exclaimed, "CANNONBALL!!!"

Peko stopped what they were doing and watched Akane, wondering, is she seriously about to do something so idiotic?

Their question was answered by a big splash followed by Akane shouting, "OW!! MY BUTT-BONE!!"

As Peko stood there, somehow still astonished by Akane's idiocy after all their years together, Ibuki ran after Akane and did the exact same thing, but instead she shouted, "OW!! THAT REALLY DOES HURT THE BUTT-BONE!"

Peko could have sworn that it was common knowledge that what they were referring to was called the "tailbone," but they let it slide since they knew that Akane's past had given her little time to care about what various parts of the body were called, and Ibuki was probably just going along with it. Hopefully.

"HEY, PEKO! IT'S YOUR TURN NOW!!" Ibuki declared.

Then Akane started chanting, "CAN! NON! BALL! CAN! NON! BALL!"

After a second Ibuki joined in, chanting "PEER! PRESS! SURE! PEER! PRESS! SURE!" instead.

They both began to splash the water with their fists in a continuous pattern, each with a big smile on their face. Peko knew that this silly, over-the-top performance was meant to tell them not to take it seriously. That if they didn't want to do it, that was okay.

Their expression, which as usual, would have seemed pretty serious to a stranger this whole time, lifted slightly. For them, it was a significant show of joy.

They walk-ran towards the water where Akane and Ibuki sat, who were now clapping and cheering for them. Once they got to them, they did hesitate, but only briefly, before jumping up and bringing their legs to their chest.

The impact that followed seemed to have knocked all the air out of their lungs. They inhaled sharply, the pain in their tailbone throbbing and unbearable.

"Ugh. That... Really hurts."

"Sure does!" said Akane, with that big, beautiful, contagious grin of hers.

Well, it would've been more contagious if Peko's first instinct wasn't to push down their urge to smile right back; to push down the idea of them being their own individual person and making choices for themselves.

They blinked and took a moment to remind themself that things weren't like they were before, and looked again at Akane's gorgeous smile. It was so pure, so charming. Just happy to be alive. Peko had no idea how anyone could possibly look at it without absolutely glowing inside.

"Wow, Peko. I know I say this a lot, but your smile is really pretty!"

It was Ibuki. Peko looked away, flattered and embarrassed, their face very red. "I-I! ...U-um, you... You really mean it?"

By now, Peko was starting to suspect that Ibuki's endless complements might never stop having this effect on them. Maybe they just always assume that she'll eventually stop, and that she'll get tired of them and see how little personality they really have. But if recognizing that they already knew, deep down, that this was never happen meant that they wouldn't get to feel this way anymore, then they didn't want to.

That was definitely irrational, but it didn't really matter right now.

A/N after this they each kiss each other and I don't know how to write that cuz I've never kissed anyone, and after that I don't have anything planned, so I guess this is the end of this oneshot. Overall, I'm proud, though it could definitely be improved. It's good that I've even had the motivation to finish this, tbh.

Also, here's my first attempt at the second & third paragraph with criticism (from myself):

*While Peko began to lay out the towels after briefly looking on at Akane running off, and knowingly brushing it off as Akane just being Akane, Ibuki had started shouting loudly to cheer on her venture towards the ocean.

A moment later, when Akane, still running, was about halfway to knee-deep in the water, she shouted "CANNONBALL!!!," drawing Peko's attention, and then jumped up, hugged her legs, and after a huge splash, exclaimed, "OW!! MY BUTT BONE

This is too much. Try to say the same things but simpler and also try to just get to the point. This kind of fancy writing may be fun for you, but it's not always ideal.