1️⃣💘|💙❤️ trouble sleeping 💙❤️

A/n: this is pretty much a vent, also I started writing this a couple of days ago as comfort since I was having a bad day (I'm good now). Also, using she/her, nay/nem/nar, and day/dream pronouns for Himiko cuz those are mine and what I hc nars as. (791 words)

Himiko didn't know why nay thought it'd be a good idea to celebrate her birthday with a sleepover. Those usually got chaotic and she had trouble keeping up, and eventually she got tired and just felt apathetic towards everything.

That's pretty much what happened this time. Angie tried to get dream involved, but Himiko refused and isolated herself in nar room and told everyone that it was alright if they still had fun and stayed the night.

So eventually, she was trying to fall asleep, wearing her noise cancelling headphones while everyone else watched a movie. And day were still doing the exact same thing long after everyone else had already fallen asleep.

She couldn't take it anymore. Day got up and, making dreams best effort to be quiet, brought some of nar magic preparations outside to the back porch. She hadn't even done the first one when nay heard the door open. "... Himiko?"

Day jumped a bit, dropping all of dreams stuff.

She turned around to see Tenko standing in the doorway.

"Sorry! Didn't mean to startle you."

Upon realizing that she'd have to explain why nay were up so late, she also realized how much she just really didn't want to. The pain it would cause in dreams throat would be far from worth it.

"S-so, um," Tenko continued, "what are you doing up so late?"

Himiko, interested in the floor and fidgeting with nar fingers, simply says, "Magic. ...That's what I'm doing."

They both stayed silent for a little, both contemplating what to say next. Himiko was still clueless; she was mostly just trying to hold back tears.

Finally, Tenko broke the silence.

"Hey... Do you need a hug?"

And that's when the tears came. She managed a nod, Tenko came to her, and Himiko melted in her arms. It was difficult to get the words out with nar sore throat, but Tenko was patient. When day were eventually able to talk, it came all at once.

"It's just, out of all the times of day for me to have energy, why does it have to be when I'm in bed!? During the day, I'm always so tired, but when I'm in bed, and I'm trying to sleep, THAT'S when my thoughts go wild?? ...It always takes me so long to get to sleep, and then in the morning, I..."

She choked on her words. Tenko just continued to rub nar back while nay sobbed. By the time day spoke again, day had mostly stopped sobbing.

"It's all just so... exhausting. Everything is always so exhausting. I... I don't know what to do."

"... Do you want advice, or do you just want comfort?"

"I guess I just want help falling asleep. So, advice, I guess." Himiko was completely calm now. A sensation of peace washed over nem. Is this what Tenko was talking about whenever she'd say that letting yourself express your emotions would make you feel better?

"Ok, hmm... How about counting sheep? Or maybe a warm glass of milk?"

"...Are you serious?"

"Right, I guess those aren't exactly good answers... Oh! Right! I used to struggle with falling asleep, too! And I still sometimes do. And it's for similar reasons!"

Himiko looked up at her with wide eyes. "You do?"

"Yeah! My mind is just, like, always on. Always thinking about something. And it can be difficult to turn it off. Ya know?"

"Uh, yeah. That's what I was telling you about. ...So, umm, what do you do to fall asleep easier?"

"Ah, right! It helps me to focus on my breathing. It relaxes me and calms my thoughts. It does take practice, though. And if it doesn't work for you, you could always ask me for more advice!"

Himiko smiled and hugged Tenko tight. "Thank you, Tenko."

"No problem! I'm happy to help."

Himiko pulled away. "We should probably go inside."

"Yeah, I guess so."

And so they went in. Tenko started getting settled in her sleeping bag. Himiko started walking to her room, but stopped when she realized that nay weren't really satisfied with just immediately going to bed again. And somehow she knew what she wanted, and had the confidence to do it.

"Hey, Tenko?" day whispered, turning around, "umm, w-would be okay if, um, we, uh..."

Nay took a deep breath and tried again. "Could we, uh, s-snuggle?"

Tenko's face turned red. Himiko was frozen and very interested in the floor.

"Bwuh-?! Uh, y-yeah, I-I'd be fine w-with that! Totally!"

As Himiko headed to Tenko, day tried unsuccessfully to suppress a smile and Tenko covered her face with the edge of her sleeping bag. Himiko settled in and snuggled up to Tenko. Tenko put her arm around nem and all nar nervousness evaporated.

Writing this killed me in a good way

4am by girl in red