Chapter 21: First Night

Argh, damn it. I though I could at least nab an NCO. Winter is royalty after all. But now, I nab a dragon with as much power as a pear!
I pumped my fist into the air, a display of my anger and frustration.
"We did not think you could possibly be alive, Hailstorm," Narwhal said, inspecting his older son top to bottom. "Congratulations on your survival. The queen will be pleased to welcome you back to her army."
Hailstorm just carved his tail in a slow arc through the snow, his head drooping even lower.
"As for you, Winter," Narwhal continued. "We have heard a lot of stories about your behavior. Perhaps you can clarify some of them for us."
Here we go.
"Attacking your own sister at Jade Mountain Academy. Leaving the school without your queen's permission. Traveling with a NightWing. Leading the RainWings straight to Icicle's hiding place so she could be imprisoned.
That wasn't him.
And then abandoning her, unconscious, in the rainforest, where any NightWing might have murdered her.
Again, NOT him.
Disappearing into Pyrrhia without consulting your queen. Consorting with dragons from other tribes. Gone for days with no message sent home and no oversight or explanation for your behavior."
Okay, that's on him.
Winter's father, took a step towards him, the crisp snow crunched under him. "What were we supposed to think? How were we supposed to account for you in the rankings? What choice did the queen have?" He swept one wing toward the wall. As if he just explained why he's now at the lowest rankings.
Not much of an explanation.
Winter was busy calculating out the consequences of what was unfolding. He probably already knew where his Queen went. Probably to take care of what happened in the RainWing kingdom.
"Father," Hailstorm surprised me. "I see I am no longer listed in the rankings, but may I have permission to speak?"
Narwhal inclined his head, looking down at his son. "Briefly, if you please."
"My brother acted rashly and without oversight," said Hailstorm. "But he did so to save my life. I would have been executed within hours if he had not saved me in time. He was courageous and honorable in his time away from the Ice Kingdom. I am prepared to attest to that before the queen."
I squintied and nodded. Halestorm was prepared to defend his brother, even if he was still not entirely here after Pyrite.
But asking for help? Traveling with two NightWings! He mentally sighed. He did rescue me though.
Suddenly, a familiar voice broke through.
Marvin!
Wha- Grace?
Marvin! Where are you?
I looked up, half hoping I wouldn't see her.
I'm in the courtyard, why?
There's like fifty! Which one?
The one with like two things in it. What-the-hell are you coming here!
I couldn't just let you go without backup. And you'd freeze if I didn't enchant your jacket.
My jacket? That's why! She's right. My breath quite literally freezes as soon as it leaves me. I would've died if I was left as is.
Do you understand now?
I just nodded.
Now where are you. I'm coming to help.
No don't. I can't risk you being seen. What about Kinkajou? You could be helping her instead.
I'm not a doctor, and neither are you. Mayfly at least knows what she's doing. She's good enough.
She's alive. I sighed. Relieved, in a sick and totally insensitive way.
She'll do a lot better with you by her side.
What can I do? I don't know anything that'll help.
But you'll find a way. You always do. You'll do something, and she'll be alright. We'll... No. wait. Stop! Let go of me!
Grace? Grace!
The... the IceWings! They've found me!
What? How!
Marvin, help!
But then our connection was severed.
Winter turned and began to walk back. Halestorm was walking away with Narwhal.
"Hey! What's going on?"
I demanded from him, coming out of chamo.
"You're still here?" Winter said, discouraged.
"I need one final favor." I asked. He just hung his head. "Hey. Do you know how to get to the dungeon? The prison."
Winter's eyes went wide, he looked in some direction. "You can't go there!"
I turned towards where he looked. "Watch me." I slid down, slinging my rifle and catching myself as I started after the place. I heard the dragon bound after me, then slowing to match my pace.
It was then that we intercepted the guards, and I spotted a familiar white colored dragon.
"Let me go!" She squirmed in her chains. White mist clouded around her muzzled snout.
"What's going on here?" Winter asked.
"We found an imposter outside the gates. She's a NightWing, see." The guard poked her with a spear. The pain rocketed through our link, briefly turning her scales a jet black, followed by a stream of blood before her scales healed back over to snow.
"Woah." Winter only exclaimed. The guards nodded.
"We're taking her to be restrained."
"Winter!" Grace called out. "Winter, you have to help me!" She tugged at her chains, only to be dragged back by the guards.
Stand down Grace.
I closed my eyes, stuffing down my rage before anyone else got hurt.
"Winter, please. Help. Moon's-"
"What's happening to Moon?" He suddenly bounded up to her.
"She's... she's..."
"She's what?"
They both met each other for a silent moment.
"No. Don't tell me."
"But Winter, she's-"
"I don't want to hear it."
He turned and started to walk away.
"Winter! Wait! Stop! Winter! You have to help me! You have to help her! Winter! WINTER!"
The guards started to drag her away again. I couldn't do anything. I couldn't.
I followed after the dragons, towards the dungeon. Winter had nothing more for me, I had to worry about Grace now.