Chapter 12 - Riding in Cars

**Edited Version**

**Warning: Explicit content. This chapter contains descriptions of consensual sexual acts. Mature audiences, only.**

The cab ride to Panitelli's was silent except for the road noise. They had taken their shopping bags back to the hotel before heading to dinner. Ashley was concerned with how quiet Shane had been since they left the hotel room. She tried to be supportive by holding his hand, but he seemed to be even more distant than the bus ride. She turned her finger around to watch her ring sparkle as she played with his fingers, sighing at the feeling of helpless.

Ashley was lost in thought when he finally spoke up, "We're here."

They pulled up in front of a row of Victorian houses that were so close to each other, the neighbors could shake hands through the windows. Shane paid the cab driver and got out. He opened Ashley's door and offered his hand. She took it and he helped her onto the curb, lacing his fingers in hers and giving it a squeeze as the cab drove away.

"We can take a moment, if you need," Ashley said quietly, placing her hand on his chest as the diamonds from her ring glinted in the waning sunlight.

Shane sighed heavily. "No. We should go on in. The Panitelli's will want to talk before dinner...and after dinner and after dessert. They like to talk." He hugged Ashley for extra support like he does and pulled back, ready to go.

The front door opened, and Vinnie popped his head out. "Hey! You guys made it! Don't stand outside like a couple of weirdos, come on in!" Stepping out on the porch he waved them over.

Shane glanced at Ashley and gave her a look, but she just smiled and squeezed his hand. As soon as Shane stepped foot on the bottom step, Vinnie had him in a bear hug.

"It's great to actually visit this time! You should see Ma, she's been cooking and going on about you all day," Vinnie gushed as he motioned Shane inside.

"Hey, Vinnie. It's good to see you again," Ashley said as she stepped up on the porch. He pulled her into a hug, and she awkwardly returned it.

"It's good to see you again, too, Ashley. Hey, I like what you did with your hair." Vinnie smiled and blushed lightly. "Come on in. Ma can't wait to meet the girl that brought Shane back to the city."

He put his hand on her shoulder lightly, guiding her inside to a flurry of 'hello's', hugs, and cheek kisses from half of the Panitelli family that showed for dinner tonight. The house was larger on the inside than it looked on the outside but was still cramped like you would expect a family reunion to be.

After being passed around to thirty different people, Ashley spotted Shane across the room. He was standing next to a gorgeous, dark-haired woman who was getting a little too handsy with her fiancé. She had her perfectly manicured nails on his arm, twirling her hair with the other hand and was laughing loudly.

Ashley made her way over and her anger cooled. Shane's face had glossed over, but he smiled gratefully at her appearance.

"There you are!" Ashley said loudly, making sure to plant her left hand with the engagement ring on the center of Shane's chest as she slipped her other arm around his waist. "I think I've met the whole family, honey, except..."

She turned to the woman with her most charming smile. Shane looked uncomfortable, but after seeing the way he let that woman put her hands on him, Ashley let him squirm.

"Monique, this is my fiancée, Ashley. Ash, Monique is Vinnie's cousin; we went to school together."

Monique looked like a flipping super model with her perfectly symmetrical eyebrows and makeup on-point. Her full lips were cherry red, her eyes a darker brown than Ashley's, and curves that looked like she was a walking photoshop picture. Ashley was happy she'd just had her hair done today because she felt very plain standing next to Monique.