01

"So you're just going to raise my rent on me like that Tony? On the first day of 2022 too?" You said, crossing your arms as you leaned on the frame of your apartment door. 

"Look Y/n ya know I don't wanna do that to ya or anyone else here, but I have to for the sack of keeping these apartments." You rolled your eyes at your landlord as you sighed.

"Well we both know I can't afford the $350 rent raise so I'll be moving out within two weeks Tony. Happy fucking New Year to you."

 You spat as you stepped back into your apartment slamming the door behind you. You stood at the white door for a second looking at the small paint chips and taking in the fact you would have to move somewhere else.

"Fuck." You gently whispered. You knew you wouldn't be able to afford anywhere else on your own, this apartment was the cheapest one near you and in the safest area in Compton which was not the safest but also safer compared to other areas.

All your friends from high school moved away as soon as they could to get away from the violence on the streets which was something you couldn't do. Your family couldn't afford to move anywhere else so they were forced to deal with the crimes committed every hour of every day. It was even a blessing you were able to attend college.

You knew the only way you wouldn't have to move back in with your parents was if you got a roommate. You hated the idea of it because it took away the whole point of being able to live on your own and have pride in it.

Though your parents wouldn't mind having you stay at their home but the idea of putting financial strain on them was haunting you. Not to mention you were 21 and wanted your own space away from them.

Realizing the only way to be able to live on your own still was to get a random roommate in the area, not only was that scary since people in your area were so hard to trust but also finding one could take more then two weeks meaning you would have to stay with your parents either way.

You let out a loud groan as you walked back over to your couch, grabbing the remote on the coffee table as you unpaused your music and fell back into your couch. You took a glance over to your laptop and grabbed it. Swallowing your pride and opening a new tab typing in "Craiglist.org" and hitting search.

You clicked the create a post button and began filling out the form to hopefully find a roommate.

Name: Y/n Y/l

Email: Y/n3445@gmail.com

Age: 21

Location: Compton, CA

Current work status: Part time cashier/college student (online classes)

I am looking for: A roommate near the north-west part of Compton. I need to find a new place to stay due to the fact my rent was raised and I was unable to pay it. I would like to be able to split utilities and the rent with the person. Please email me if you are interested or would like more details!!

You rubbed your hands down your face as you clicked post on the application craigs list made you fill out, you never would have thought you were being kicked out for not being able to pay your rent; especially when it was raised almost $350.

 All you could think was how fucking stupid it was for them to raise the price at your rundown apartments in the bad part of Compton.

Falling back into your couch you listened to your playlist that softly played in the background of your apartment. You always needed to have music playing when you were alone just so you didn't feel alone.