ii. the ties that bind

CHAPTER TWO: THE TIES THAT BIND

(episode one: the dragons call )

✲*'。

IN THE EXPERIENCE OF THE LADY ENIDE, rumors in the court of Uther Pendragon spread like wild fire. A hurried spoken of whispers murmured in a hidden alcove could be spread all around the citadel within the hour. She'd personally learnt this the hard way, learnt by feeling the consistent pattern of stares on her back as she advanced through the lower towns attending the daily markets.

Speeches, idle conversations, private murmurs all spread into one thing; rumours spread through gossip. The walls had ears, and no one really knew who was lurking in the shadows.

Enide was no exception to the nobility that listened to the idle gossip, some days she could spend hours hidden away in Morgana's chambers, listening and exchanging gossip with her foster sister. Enide focused on her needlework, Morgana pacing before her, ranting about Uther's ways. Other days Enide heard gossip by chance, lurking in the corridors, her maidservant leading the way. Hidden away in alcove, cushioned by Kahedin's taller frame, a hand cushioned over lips to stop the giggles threatening to escape as she listened to the servants, unfiltered unabashed harried words.

Enide herself has been a pretty subject to be spoken about in idle gossip. The bastard of Camelot, the one speckled  stain on the Pendragon dynasty. A besmirch upon the great dragons name. After the birth of Camelot's young lady, the second marriage of Uther Pendragon quickly enraptured the people's focus. The former Lady Alayne Martell turned Alayne Pendragon was quick to worm her way into the people's hearts, so much so amongst the nobility of Camelot many speculated when the inevitable legitimatisation of the Lady Enide would unfold. Yet no decrees were ever made, no triumphant feasts held to announce the change of status for the kings natural daughter. The rumours only ever continued when the King accepted for a nobleman's daughter to be raised in the highest esteem alongside his son, Prince Arthur. As the Lady Morgana won the affection of the common folk, Lady Saeth won the hearts of the nobility, Lady Enide stayed shuttered away in Camelot's grand walls, never far from her fathers side. And thus the great humiliation of the Lady Enide Pendragon began...

Never before had Arthur every mentioned idle gossip to his sister, so one could only imagine Enide's surprise when her brother stormed into her chambers, ignorant to the way Kahedin tensed before dropping into a hurried bow.

"Brother," Enide politely hummed, her eyebrow raised as Arthur dropped down beside her, a hand reaching out to grab at her breakfast.

"Sister." Arthur nodded, raising an eyebrow at his sisters shared footmen between their households. "Well will you stop standing there uselessly and bring me some food!"

"Arthur!" Enide hissed, eyes narrowing as Kahedin fought down the urge to smirk at the Prince's chastised face.

"Right away your highness," Kahedin answered. "My lady I will be back." The footman hummed, bowing his head before turning away from the royal siblings.