iv. snakeskin

CHAPTER THREE: SNAKESKIN

( episode two: valiant )

✲*'。

AS DAWN BROKE ACROSS CAMELOT, Daenys Wright awoke with the sun. Dressing herself in a pale green gown, her long locks pinned back in a loose braid. Usually the girl wasn't a morning person, refusing to rise until the last possible moment, Kahedin gently coaxing her awake to attend to her duties.

Today was different, today was Kahedin's nameday, and thus Daenys was determined today would be special. She was determined to relive the burdens of her lady's footmen in whatever way she could. Once she had dressed, Daenys slipped out from the antechambers of her lady's quarters, advancing forward to gently awaken Enide for the day. Help her dress, pin back her hair. All the tasks she was well used to completing.

The only difference came in the form of slipping away to the armoury to fetch the footman's nameday present she had been saving for; a simple, well wielded sharp dagger that would fit well underneath his tunic. She had spent months saving for the blade, refusing the considerable wage her lady had tried to give her. Daenys was determined to stand on her own two feet, and so she would.

Everything had to go perfectly.

For once, no one paid her any heed, other than a withering passing glance. That was the way Daenys preferred it; she could handle the stares, ignore the mad rumours that encircled her name.

She was never able to ignore the taunting or the beatings. Slipping into the armoury was easy, as she darted behind one of the shields, a wide smile engulfed her face the moment she held Kahedin's present.

Much to her surprise, the armory was not quiet, from the corner of her eye as she hid behind the shields, Daenys could see Merlin Wylt's tall, angular frame knelt over Knight Valiant's shield. Titling her head to the side, a small smile grew on her face; her lady had spoken high praises of the princess manservant. Maybe she could finally make a friend other than her lady and her footman. Daenys moved to walk forward; that was until she saw Valiant creeping out from the shadows, a sword drawn to Merlin's chest.

"Can I help you with something, boy?" Valiant questioned, his face dark as Merlin clumsily rose to his feet.

Shaking his head rapidly, Merlin was quick to reply. "Nope. I'm good. I, I was just..." Merlin broke off, rumbling for a reply as he backed away from the advancing Valiant. "I was, erm, gathering my master's armour."

"Then you'd best be on your way." Valiant spoke, beady eyes watching the manservant's every move.

As Merlin crashed into a pile of armour, and then hurrying to the entrance, Daenys watched with bated breath as the Knight Valiant placed his shield back on the floor once more. His dark stare was hooked to his three headed snake shield, the girl gave one quick glance around before she darted after the manservant.