iii. family lines

CHAPTER THREE: FAMILY LINES

( episode two: valiant  )

✲*'。

ARTHUR PENDRAGON WAS UNBEARABLE to work for; how the lady Enide was related to him, Merlin would never understand. After his visit with his mother, Arthur had been relentless, spending all hours training; whether that be with the knights, or using Merlin himself as a human training dummy.

And of course he had to complete the rest of his chores before he could sleep, without the help of magic, lest he wanted to invoke the ire of Gaius. That was something Merlin wanted to avoid. So, as he finished laundering the prince prat's clothes, laid them out for wear the next day under his armour, Merlin cocked his head up in confusion as he heard vaguely distant voices.

Gently laying down the folded linen, Merlin hurried away from Arthur's chambers, careful to keep his footsteps light as he crept along the silent halls. Thankfully, this time, he was fully prepared for the impact of Enide Pendragon crashing into him.

A bright smile settled on her face. "Merlin! Just the boy I was looking for!" She declared in delight, grabbing the sorcerers arms as she began to lead him down the halls. "Come with me!"

"My lady," Merlin hissed, trying his best to escape her surprisingly tight grip for someone so small. "I don't think is a wise ch--"

Shooting him a dark look over her shoulder that would put her brother and father to shame, Merlin quickly cut off his sentence. Merlin had thought Gaius, the king and the prince had been terrifying in their ire; Enide quickly put them to shame.

"I didn't think you understood the meaning of the word wise Merlin," Enide spoke once more. "Given the way you so recklessly throw yourself into danger."

"Hang on--" Merlin tried to cut in as Enide opened the door that led into her chambers. Instead of keeping him outside like he had expected, Enide shoved him inside, gesturing for him to sit at the desk situated near the window.

Her room was grand--- nearly just as big as Arthur's and just as grand as Morgana's. A small hearth illuminated the room, giving the grand spacious chambers a cosy feel to it. A giant double bed stood in the middle of the room, draped in silk cut, Pendragon red embroidered drapes. Against one wall held a rather large bookshelf, books of all kinds littering on it. Her room well lived in, her sanctuary against the world.

And she had so casually invited him in.

"Here," Enide murmured, interrupting his musing as she appeared from behind the screen, a wrapped item hidden in her hands. "This is for the aches, I heard about your sparring session with my brother."

"My lady, I couldn't poss--"

"Do you ever shut up asking stupid questions?" Enide spoke aloud, squatting down so she knelt in front of the taller boy. "This is a gift. You can't refuse me."