15 | Norbert

Your P.O.V.

"Hey, Hermione," I call.

"What?" she answers.

"Can I borrow this?" I ask, pointing at a book under her bed.

"Hm? Oh, that. Sure. Go ahead."

I start reading it later at lunch and nearly choke on my pumpkin juice when I recognize a name.

"Hello, Nick. Tell me, what's Cerberus guarding for you?"

I spend some time reading, then I tell Hermione about my find and she drags the boys and I to the library.

Hermione thumps the book down on a table and the boys flinch. I stifle a laugh.

"I had you looking in the wrong section! How could I have been so stupid? I checked this out a few weeks ago for a bit of light reading. Then I forgot about it and wouldn't have remembered if (y/n) hadn't asked to borrow it!"

"Back up," says Ron. "This is light?"

"That is what she said. Do keep up, Ron," I tease.

"Here it is!" Hermione reads the page. "'Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone!'"

"The what?" ask the boys.

"Honestly, don't you two read?" Hermione asks.

"Yeah!" Ron says defensively. "Well, I mean, if it's homework... sometimes."

"Ridiculous."

Ron and Hermione start to bicker and I grab the book and get them back on topic.

"'The Philosopher's Stone is a legendary substance with astonishing powers,'" I recite. "'It will turn any metal into pure gold and produces the Elixir of Life, which will make the drinker immortal.'"

"Immortal?" Ron asks, shocked. Or maybe confused. I can't tell.

"It means you'll never die," Hermione explains.

"I know what it means!"

"Shh!" Harry shushes.

"Thank you." I continue to read. "'The only stone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicholas Flamel, the noted alchemist, who last year celebrated his 665th birthday!'"

"That's what Fluffy's guarding on the third floor!" Hermione exclaims. "That's what's under the trapdoor! The Philosopher's Stone!"

I look at the others and we come to a silent agreement.

"We need to talk to Hagrid."

⚡️⚡️⚡️

We're sneaking down to Hagrid's hut under Harry's cloak. To my surprise, it easily fits all four of us.

I knock on the door then remember the cloak.

"Take it off! Quick!"

Harry hides it behind his back just as the door opens.

Our big friendly half-giant stands before us in an apron and oven mitts. Granted, it's not exactly his most intimidating attire, but I don't mind it.

"Hagrid!" Harry exclaims.

"Oh, hello," says Hagrid, turning into a big sort-of-friendly half-giant. "Sorry, don' wish ter be rude, but I'm in no fit state teh entertain today."

Hagrid starts to close the door but I stop him.

"Wait!"

When he doesn't stop, I glance at my friends and they all give me the slightest of nods.