18 | The Trapdoor

Neville's P.O.V.

I'm sitting in the Gryffindor common room because I'm sure the Golden Quartet is going to try and sneak out. I heard them talking earlier.

I hear a creak on the stairs and know I'm right.

Ribit!

"Trevor," Harry mutters.

"Trevor, shh!" Ron shushes.

"Wait, Ron, Trevor might not be the only one," (y/n) says. "If we get caught—"

"You shouldn't be here!" Ron interrupts, talking to my toad again and completely ignoring (y/n).

"Neither should you," I say, spinning my chair around to face them. "Listen to (y/n) next time, Ron."

"Neville, I can explain—" (y/n) starts.

"You're sneaking out again, aren't you?"

"Now, Neville, listen," Harry tries. "We were—"

"No!" I exclaim. "I won't let you!" I stand up. "You'll get Gryffindor in trouble again! I-I'll fight you!"

I put up shaking fists.

"Hermione?" (y/n) asks, turning to her friend. "Please don't hurt him."

"Neville, I'm really, really, sorry about this," Hermione says, pulling out her wand.

Oh yeah. Why didn't I bring my wand?

"Petrificus Totalus!"

I freeze in place and land with a thud on the ground, banging my head hard. I try to stand up but I can't move.

"Let's go." They start walking over me, careful not to step on me, and apologize as they go. "Sorry."

"Sorry!"

"It's for your own good, you know."

(Y/n)'s the last one and I expect her to say something similar. But she doesn't. She leans down and smiles at me.

"You're very brave, you know. No matter what Malfoy or anyone else says. You really are a Gryffindor."

Your P.O.V.

We're sneaking around under the invisibility cloak and we're almost to the third floor.

"Ow! You stood on my foot!" Hermione whispers.

"Sorry," Ron mutters.

"Alohomora." Hermione points her wand at the door and I hear the click of a lock. I open the door silently and shut it behind us.

"Is he—"

"Ron shush!" I whisper frantically. "You'll scare Fluffy!"

"No, (y/n), he's..."

Fluffy lets out a puff of air from all of his heads.

"Oh... he's sleeping," I finish. "Sorry."

Harry looks to the side and I follow his gaze. There's a harp in the corner playing a relaxing melody.

"Snape's already been here," Harry says.

"Yeah," I agree. "He's put a spell on the harp."

We approach Fluffy and Ron wrinkles his nose.

"Eugh! It's got horrible breath!"

"Well then you two have something in common. Now help me move his paw," I instruct.

"What?"

"She's right," Harry decides. "Come on."

Harry and I gently place our hands on Fluffy's paw that's covering the door. Ron and Hermione reluctantly follow suit.