iii. toads and teasings

𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰!
act one, chapter three
" 𝒕𝒐𝒂𝒅𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 "

𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰!act one, chapter three" 𝒕𝒐𝒂𝒅𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 "

𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟕

𝑰𝑭 𝑰𝑻 𝑾𝑬𝑹𝑬𝑵'𝑻 𝑭𝑶𝑹 𝑯𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑾𝑶 𝑩𝑬𝑺𝑻 𝑭𝑹𝑰𝑬𝑵𝑫𝑺, 𝑾𝒀𝑨𝑻𝑻 𝑩𝑼𝑪𝑲𝑳𝑬𝒀 𝑻𝑯𝑰𝑵𝑲𝑺 𝑾𝑰𝑵𝑵𝑰𝑬 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑻𝑶𝑨𝑫 would be her closest companion. She has a tabby cat of her own, but Tyler ─ an ingenious name, if you ask Wyatt ─ was a gift for her thirteenth birthday; Winnie has been with her from the very beginning.

While the toads of Professor Flitwick's choir technically belong to the school, Wyatt likes to think of Winnie as her own. Since her first year, eleven-year-old Wyatt was one of six out of their entire year to join the school's choir. Now, she's one of two. Rudy only joined because her only friend joined too. She dropped out in their second year when it was made clear that Wyatt wasn't going to unfriend her just because she didn't share the same love for singing. So Wyatt and Neville Longbottom (who protested to use his own toad, Trevor as his singing companion) were the only two in their year group to still be a part of Flitwick's choir.

The choir was the first extracurricular Wyatt joined when she started Hogwarts. Since it was open to everyone (a tiny audition was required but Flitwick let anyone in any way he personally selected the people for the special performances) Wyatt thought it would be the easiest way to wriggle her way into the "Big Leagues" as she called it back then. All it was was the theatre field within Hogwarts for the most talented of students. For the people who got the leads.

Wyatt learned pretty fast that the way to Flitwick's heart was through working hard outside of the clubs and rehearsals. Which is why Wyatt did everything she could to help him out. Making programmes, handing out leaflets advertising Theatre Club, tidying up till late after every performance. She still does all of that and anyone could tell you she's one of his favourite students. And she's not even that good at Charms.

Hence, why Wyatt has such an emotional attachment to the toad, currently perched on her palm, as they sang in perfect harmony to the entire Great Hall before the big feast.

The hall looked as it always did on the first day back ─ candles hanging from every spot in the ceiling, their glow reflected in the golden plates and goblets that lined the tables. Wyatt was focused on the movements of her Charms' Professor, who was conducting the choir from down below. Gentle rain pattered on the windows outside, almost like an unplanned beat to the Hogwarts' anthem that was bouncing off of the walls of the hall.