eleven

The Moirai were merciful

Keres was not beside me, Thanatos was, watching me hold you in my arms. 

Running my hands through your hair, I found myself slowly humming a familiar tune. 

      'I remember that,' you commented, your voice as warm and welcoming as the early spring. Head against my chest, I knew you were listening to my heartbeat. 

Was it beating slower than usual?

      'Have you been sleeping?' I asked, noticing the way you gripped onto me ― something you did when you were sleepy. 

      'No,' you answered, voice in a mutter. 

      'Sleep,' I said. 'I'll be here when you wake up.'

      'Do you promise?'

      'I promise.'

Smiling, you linked your pinky with mine. 

Was it too late to apologise?

Thoughts swirling around my head, I couldn't silence them all. 

I lied to you, didn't I? 

Something inside of me told me that. I could feel it. With my body as light as a feather, I felt like I was falling through the infinite. World passing my around me, yet I was falling too quickly to grasp onto anything. 

But I knew I wasn't going to hit the heavy ground. 

For once dead, Thanatos was there, ready to catch me and bring me to the underworld. 

A world where subjects of tragedy resided. 

No wonder I was going there.

Do I dare close my eyes?

Will it be my last time?

There was only one way to find out. . .

And so, I closed my eyes and broke my promise.