Family

I barely spent any time in the house the next day. Woke up, changed into workout gear, grabbed a piece of toast on my way out the door and ran to La Plush. I made it to Emily's house and, after a quick shower, I helped the other scarred woman make muffins. We were talking between ourselves when the door opened and a couple footsteps walked in. "You guys hungry?" Emily asked. I turned around with a smile.

"Muffins fresh out of the...oven..." I trailed off, the smile falling off my face when I saw Bella between Embry and Jared.

"Oh, who's this?" Emily looked in between Bella and I.

"Emily, this is my younger sister, Bella. Bella, this is Sam's fiancee, Emily." I introduced, gesturing in between the two."

"Did you tell her?" Emily asked as we set the muffins on the table. She sighed when I shook my head. "Leave it to Jacob to find a way around." She muttered. "So, you're the Vampire girl."

"Yes." Bella said when she found her voice. "Are you the Wolf girl?"

"I guess I am." Emily laughed.

"Where's everyone else?" I asked, looking around and noticing the absence of Sam, Paul and Jacob."

"Bella, uh, surprised Paul this morning." Jared admitted.

"Seriously?" I put my hands on my hip. "They're more like children than men."

"Ah, Paul." Emily sighed. "Do you think they'll be long? We were just about to start the eggs."

"Don't worry." Embry said. "If they're late, we won't let anything go to waste."

"No doubt, Bella, are you hungry? Go ahead and help yourself to a muffin."

"Thanks." Bella muttered as she took a muffin. "Aspen...you knew about all this?" I turned to her with a nod.

"Yeah, I did." I told her softly. "I loved hearing the stories of the Quileute when I was growing up, and Billy told me the truth after he learned what I was. After a...particularly bad dream, one I won't tell you, Billy told Dad and I told them what the dream was. Believe me, I wanted them to tell you, but I couldn't. It wasn't my secret to share, like the Cullen's isn't." Bella nodded slowly in understanding. "Hey, Bella, look at me." Bella looked up at me. I walked up to her and gently took her cheeks in my hands and tilted her head up to look to me. "I, Aspen Swan, swear on the River Styx that all I do is to protect you." There was a rumble of thunder as the declaration was made. "My methods may not make sense, but you have to trust me, ok?" Bella nodded again. "Are we good?"

"Yeah, we're good." Bella said. I smiled, pulling her into a tight hug. We separated when the door opened again.

"Emily." Sam said, his voice filled with love. He walked up to Emily and after gently kissing her scars, gently kissed her on the lips.

"Hey, none of that, I'm eating." Jared complained.

"Then shut up and eat." Sam suggested before kissing Emily again.

"Eugh." Embry groaned. There was a duo of laughter as Jake and Paul walked into the house, playfully fighting. Jacob scanned the room and his eyes fell on Bella and I.

"Hey Bells." He greeted, strolling up to us. "Aspen." He grabbed two muffins as he walked. "Sorry about before. How are you holding up?"

"Don't worry, I'm ok." Bella said. "Good muffins." She picked hers up again and started to nibble at it.

"Oh man!" Jared wailed, causing us to turn to him. He was inspecting a fading pink line on Paul's arm.

"Fifteen dollars!" Embry crowed happily.