The End of a War

The return to Camp-Half Blood was a sombre one. The War was over, but the bodies of the hundreds of Demigods were wrapped in their shrouds reminded us of what we had lost. The second their bodies passed the barrier, each was claimed. Apollo, Aphrodite, Hermes, Iris, Hebe. I stood watching as not only the deceased were claimed, but the living children were as well, it was both a sad and happy time for the campers claimed.

I watched as a young child, barely even ten years old, being carried into camp. Above his head, a lotus flower blossomed, the petals opening wide. A whispering cut through the crowd, 'Persephone?' 'I didn't know she had kids?' 'Who's gonna do the burial rights?' A soft light then spilled over my shoulders, the same magenta that was only now fading from the boy. I looked up and saw the lotus blooming over my head. Instantly, my eyes watered, and I looked towards the boy. A few people were looking at me with pity as I approached.

"I'll do it." I said to them, my voice laced with sadness, "He's my brother." The campers holding him nodded before moving him away to lay alone. I followed them, sitting next to my brother once the others had left. I closed my eyes, resting my hand on his forehead. Slowly, buds started to surround us, growing until they became full-grown flowers, Lilies, Gladioli, Carnations, Chrysanthemums, Roses, Orchids, Tulips, all flowers that should not grow so close together were cradling my brother.

 Slowly, buds started to surround us, growing until they became full-grown flowers, Lilies, Gladioli, Carnations, Chrysanthemums, Roses, Orchids, Tulips, all flowers that should not grow so close together were cradling my brother

The Pyre was a sombre event, burial shrouds were sewen and bodies were neatly wrapped in their respective cloth. The children of the Demeter Cabin, essentially my Aunts and Uncles, helped me to make my siblings shroud. A shroud made of magenta silk with a white flower in its centre. A rose, his favourite. I gave a speech, recounting the bond we had shared in the Hermes Cabin, how we were closer than all our other Cabin Mates, our love of gardening with the Demeter Cabin and our weird love of pomegranates. The other Campers said eulogies for their fallen siblings, and Chiron spoke for those who had none. When the Pyre had ended, the whole camp just stood there in silence.

 When the Pyre had ended, the whole camp just stood there in silence

The end of Summer break could not have come fast enough. Annabeth had been appointed Olympus' new architect, and not only was she busy remodelling Olympus, but she had also been designing the new section of Cabins to accommodate the newly claimed Demigods. Hades and Persephone's were the first to be built. Hades' was, solid obsidian, windowless with a skull hanging above the door. My Cabin was right across from it, rather it was more like a cottage rather than a cabin. It was made of simple white brick with a thatched roof and windows that covered most of the walls. Flowers crept into every crevice they could find, their roots worming through the cracks in the brick. There was a porch that went around the whole building, made of white wood with matching railings. Above our birch Cabin door, a pot of purple Impatiens and orange Begonia was suspended in a hanging basket.

Inside was more of a boho look, with calming spring colours covering most of the room. Since there was only me, the Cabin was more personal than others. Cream curtains separated my beds from the common area. There was a white bookshelf pressed up against one of the walls, filled with books on gardening and other random topics, a sitting area in front of it with grey pullout couches, the pillows stuffed with Pegasi feathers (The Pegasi had shed those feathers, I made sure that they weren't plucked from their wings). There was a desk in the corner used for holiday homework, and the bathroom was closed off by a birch door. There was a small cupboard that held my gardening tools and whatnot as well.

Standing on Half-Blood Hill, I awaited Argus as he was tot take me to the airport. I was going home. Back to the town the Gods had condemned, Forks.