Three

"We meet again, doll."

I jumped back, slamming into the counter island. "Shit-ow-Bucky, I..."

His arms instantly reached out for me, lifting my shirt and checking my back. "Are you all right? Shit, doll it's already red. That's gonna bruise."

"I'm fine, Buck." I pushed his hand away and stepped back. Being so close to him was overwhelming. I couldn't focus on anything. I need to get back to Steve. Steve.

But then he stepped towards me again, his hand caressed my face. "Doll, we need to talk." Bucky's voice was barely above a whisper.

"I don't think we do." I whispered back to him, crossing my arms in front of me. I wanted to touch him so badly. But I can't. Steve. Focus on Steve.

"I miss you." The moment the words left his lips my breath hitched. I couldn't breathe. The words swirling in my head. "I don't want to be away from you anymore. I don't want to avoid you or act like it doesn't kill me when I see you with Steve... Caroline, I love you."

I opened my mouth, ready to reply but instead I looked over, grabbed the first two bags of chips I could find and ran the entire way back to Steve's room. I didn't stop until I was in front of his door. I took a few deep breaths, trying to calm myself down. It felt like my mind was all over the place, what the hell was I doing? What the hell am I going to do?

I fixed my hair and then walked in the room to see Steve, shirtless in the bed. Waiting. For me. An involuntary smile covered my face, and he grinned back at me.

"What'd you get, sweetheart?" I held up the bags for him.

"Excellent combination. Come on." He moved the blanket off the side of the bed so I could slide in next to him.

His arm instantly wrapped around me and he placed the two bags between us. He hit play and we leaned against each other and snacked, enjoying the laid back quality time together. The more time went on, the chips got moved and we got closer and closer together. Steve's hand was absentmindedly rubbing my thigh and my head was on his chest. The movie was nearing the end and I was desperately trying to keep my eyes open long enough to finish it.

"You sleeping, sweetheart?" Steve's low voice spoke, startling me.

"Mm, no." I mumbled against him.

He chuckled. "Almost?"

"Yeah, sorry. I'm trying."

He tightened his arms around me. "Don't apologize. Go to sleep. I'll probably do the same after the movie anyway."

"'Kay." I whispered before snuggling in close to him again. God, he was so warm. My eyes were heavy as I let them fall, focusing only on Steve's steady breathing and heart beat. Everything was perfect and calm. And I felt myself slowly drift to sleep.

May 1st, 2019

I woke up and groaned, why was the light so bright? Weren't the curtains closed? I could've sworn Steve asked Jarvis to close them when I came in the room... I rolled over looking to feel for him, but I was met with the cold side of the bed. What? Did he leave?

I opened my eyes, I was in my room.

My room. Not Steve's. My real life room, my laptop still on the bed, no Steve Rogers anywhere to be seen. I scrambled looking for my phone and saw the date. "May first?" I mumbled. So was yesterday a dream? It was so fucking long, that's not how dreams are...

I texted Jane.

Had the craziest dream I was dating Steve and not Bucky. Insane.

I locked my phone and dropped it, laying back on the bed while it bounced beside me. And then my alarm went off. Great, work. I groaned, covering my head with the pillow.

Trying to force myself out of bed was especially heartbreaking today. How can I just casually go to work as a cashier when I was just literally living the dream?

The uniform felt uncomfortable as usual, but things felt wrong. The drive to work I didn't sing along to my music, I could barely focus. Today just felt off. I smiled at customers, took their money, gave them change, nothing went wrong. But it wasn't right... and I couldn't shake the feeling.

Jane never answered my text, so when I got home I called her.

"Hey, shit-sorry I uh. Happy birthday, Caroline!" I could hear her giggling and another voice in the background.

"Jane? Do you have someone over?"

More giggles. "Yes, I may have given someone my number while we were out yesterday. She came over last night, hasn't left since."

"Oh, I'm sorry! Go have fun, call me later with all the details!"

"Okay, yeah. Make sure you give me all the details of that dream." I could hear she pulled away from the phone and whispered, "one second." When she came back she was louder again. "Hey, I love you. I'll call you tomorrow."

"Love you too-" the line clicked. "Okay then."
I muttered, starting to change into my pajamas. As I climbed into my bed and started my laptop, the last movie that I watched popped up and I groaned. How am I supposed to enjoy marvel movies again now that I've lived it?

I shook my head. I can't think like that. It was a dream. Just a dream. I closed my laptop. No marvel today, at least.

I went to my living room and turned on the tv, pulling up Netflix before going to preheat the oven for some pizza. I didn't usually hang out in the living room because I have a roommate but she's been gone this week so I might as well enjoy it.

I curled up with a soft blanket and the plate with a slice pizza resting on my lap as I started my comfort show. The one I watched with Steve.

How could I miss someone that wasn't even real?