Four

"Rock meet bottom, to the bottom I sink." ~Liam Payne.

Devon

I heard her scream of pain. I heard her shout. I saw that creature eat her hand alive.

But I could do nothing, I could do nothing but stare on as my little sister was devoured by the Zombie Wolf.

Scott and I managed to find a way to the other side using the iron bars as monkey bars. Xander had gone back to help who he could, including Megan, who clung to his back like a koala. Scott had saved one girl, Diane, who now had a fresh red scar over her right eye and just one complete arm; the other one now stopped just below her elbow. I felt myself become protective of her somehow, she was the only living person missing their limb.

Everyone else was either seriously wounded or dead.

As horrific as that sounds, it was the truth. So I wasn't taking pity on her or anything, I was just being protective, plus she looked so shaken up. I found myself sticking close to her and she showed her gratitude by giving me a small half smile, her teeth blood stained as she leaned on my shoulders while Scott tended to her arm.

Hearing a blood-curdling scream, my eyes dragged back to the pandemonium of people and animals. Frantically searching for any sign of my sister, I finally located her just as the evil creature let go of her arm letting her fall into the abyss. I wanted to scream, I wanted to shout but it got caught in my throat, I wanted to yell but no sound came out, I wanted to do something, anything, but I couldn't, so I looked away.

I couldn't watch her die.

A roar of pain forced me to drag my eyes back to the scene and I watched in complete bewilderment as Xander battled the zombie wolves with a flaming torch. The creatures all seemed to shrink away from the flames, whimpering and cowering in fear.

The now empty and deserted metal bars helped to accelerate their death as they fell through the steel planes with no glass to stop their fall into the unknown.

What surprised me the more was that he had Genesis safely tucked into his chest protectively, holding on for dear life as he did the same. It was obvious that he climbed down the metal bars to save her and now he was hanging on with one hand while waving the flaming torch with the other, warding the creatures off.

He showed no sign of strain or fatigue even though his red T-shirt was nearly ripped to shreds and now had a new kind of red on it, and his legs covered by black joggers were practically oozing blood and he now sported a fresh scar just below his ear stretching to his jawline. And all that plus carrying my sister and holding on with only one arm. If not for her slight whimpers every now and then I would have thought she was dead, because she was completely limp in his arms, unmoving.

When the last creature tumbled through the bars, Xander took some time to catch his breath, his chest heaving with exhaustion having spent so much energy as he cradled Genesis to his chest.

I had moved towards the edge this time so when he let go of the fiery torch, letting it fall into the darkness. I glimpsed all the dead, mangled, bodies, human and animal and in the pit. But I also saw something else.

"Get back! Everyone get back from the edge!" I yelled scrambling away. But it was too late.

Breaking through some of the bars, a three-headed zombie wolf burst through, instantly snatching one person and ripping their head off in one clean strike. Their blood flew everywhere, coating my ripped grey shirt crimson, their body bits flying somewhere as their head landed right in front of me, nudging my shoes.

It was a girl.

Bile rose in my throat but I pushed it down. This was not the time to feel disgusted, I had to act. Behind the hellhound incarnation, I saw Xander and Gen making their way over to us, climbing and clutching from one bar to another.

I'll have to ask how Xander got that fiery torch but that will have to be later, right now I needed to live, we all needed to live.

Grabbing the nearest weapon I could find, which happened to be a broken metal pipe, I began to fight the creature, stabbing and poking, the dirt underneath my feet moving and shifting.

Suddenly the creature gave a loud roar as it tumbled, the force of its animalistic voice shaking the ground beneath us as it tumbled into the pit. Shocked at its early demise, I turned to face Megan. She had this feral look in her eyes, her blue eyes swirling, her golden hair waving all around her as the gleaming metal rod in her hands turned to ash.

What the fricking hell?

She suddenly staggers back like she was just waking out of a trance, her eyes widening as she stared at the ash on the floor in shock. I could have imagined it, but I'm sure I saw a mark appear on her skin, just on her forehead but it faded away before I could examine it. Bizarre.

"What was that?" I hear the meek, quiet voice of my sister. Rushing forward, I embrace her, burying my face in her neck, clinging onto her like it was the last time I'd see her.

It just might be.

After our little reunion, I let her go and she leans back into Xander and he wraps his arms around her shoulders, keeping her up, supporting her. I sent him a small smile to which he replied to with a smile of his own. But to me it looked more like a grimace, maybe mine was too.

The wound on Gen's hand looks bad and I can only hope that those creatures had no venom in their bite otherwise we'd all be screwed.

"What happened back there Megan?" I tuned back into the present at the sound of Scott's voice. I turned to face Megan who seemed equally terrified as she was shocked.

"I don't know." She mumbled, looking like she was on the verge of a breakdown. "I don't know." Scott immediately stepped forward to comfort her, trying to assure her that everything would be okay.

That reminds me. Pushing through the crowd of people, I looked for Diane who I'd left by the wall somewhere. I was happy to see she was okay until I noticed something else. Something that blew my mind.

"What on earth?!" I shouted, unable to take any of this freakiness any more.

There, right before me, was Diane who previously had only an arm and half, now had two  complete ones. Almost like it never happened but it did, I saw it, others saw it.

Is this thing giving us hallucinations now?

While everyone begins to murmur about the strange events, I noticed something at the other side of the pit.

"There!" I said pointing to the hooded figure he eerily watching us from the other side, it's soulless guys piercing fear and terror into the very depths of my soul.

I'm sure that if I could see its face, it would be grinning sadistically under that cloak. Abruptly, it turns and floats away, leaving us more scared, confused and terrified than ever.

I feel even more confused until I hear water rushing like a wave. I lifted my head, my gaze locking on the source of the noise, it is, in fact a wave coming straight towards us. First rushing down the pit, it resurfaces as the dead, severed, mangled bodies of both predator and prey float to the top of the river, their lifeless eyes greeting us from the underworld as the blood mixed with the water, the green slime from the zombie wolves blending with the bloody water, creating one murky, muddy, bloody wave sent from the gates of hell.

It moved towards us with intent, carrying the bodies along with it, ready to sweep us as well. Grabbing Diane just as the wave hit me, I took a deep breath, hoping to whichever God was listening that it wasn't my last.

I'm back ladies and gentlemen, I'm back.