Five

"White shirt, now red, my bloody nose." ~Billie Eillish.

Clinging onto Xander like my life depended on it (because it did), I held my breath, trying to look anywhere but at the dead bodies floating in the sea of tainted water.

My gaze found my hand, which two my greatest shock, was healing. Right before my eyes the skin sealed itself back together, only leaving the scars of the bite mark behind.

Checking Xander's wounds if the same thing at happened to him, I felt disappointed to see nothing changed. He saved me but he was still injured.

I owed him a lot, he saved my life.

And at that moment, as the soulless eyes of the monsters and men surrounded us in the water, I made a promise to save his life as well.

I don't know how long we spent floating in the water, but soon the water seized making us fall to the ground.

Breathing in gulps of air, I  remained attached to Xander as he did the same. Catching our breath, we looked around and my eyes widened when they saw that we seem to be in some sort of garden.

But just one look at the plants told me that they were no ordinary plants.

These looked dangerous. Deadly. Vicious. They looked ordinary but I could just tell that they were different.

Turning around, I saw my brother holding onto a small girl with blue hair and Scott holding on to Megan.

Behind us we the other people, battered, beaten and injured.

Our numbers had shrunk, we looked about 40 now.

"...You will die...."

Looking up at Xander, I pulled him up, urging him to come with me. He obeyed, letting me drag him to Scott, Devon and Megan. Oh, and the blue-haired girl.

"Guys from what just happened, I think it will be best if we worked as a team, that's the only chance we have at surviving." I said. They nodded.

Megan spoke up. "Yeah. You know what Genesis, since we're about to die and all, I only started treating you bad cos I was jealous. You were so good at everything, and I wanted to beat you at something for once, treating you like this all the time was a shitty thing to do I'll try not to anymore." I raised an eyebrow.

"Megan, did you just apologise to me." I said with a gasp as I placed my hand on my chest feigning  shock.

She rolled her eyes. "Take it or leave it bitch." She grumbled but I could see the corners of her lips twitching in a smile. I chuckled.

"So it's settled then?" I asked. I received nods in agreement.

"Actually," Devon said. "I want to bring Diane along in our team is that okay?" He asked.

"Sure." I nodded, turning to Diane who gave me a small smile.

"I'm Diane Madison." She said taking my hand and shaking it. I immediately noticed her strength despite her small frame. Actually on closer inspection she seemed to be two inches taller than me.

"Genesis Sanchez." I reply with a small smile of my own.

"Xander Cole." Xander said shaking her hand as well.

"Scott Harper."

"Megan Davis."

"And you've already made my big brother." I said pointing to Devon.

"Welcome to the team." She smiled. And we all broke up the little circle we had formed, venturing into the garden.

It looked more like a jungle really, on closer inspection. It seemed like the others caught on to our strategy and soon began forming teams as well.