VACATION STARTS

"So, this is it. See you all after the vacation. Don't forget your assignments!!!" The teacher yelled after the students, who were rushing out the class, talking about their vacation plans. I was the last to leave the class, as always.
"Ms. Claire?" I heard the teacher call after me just before I stepped out. I turned back and walked over to her table.
She was smiling at me and her smile reached her beautiful gray eyes that blinked rapidly as a stray strand of her dark hair fell across her face.
"Can I help you in any way, Mrs. Williams?" I asked not sure why she called me.
"Actually, yes. I want to talk with you." She paused then continued after I gave her a puzzled look. "I watch you everyday, sitting all alone in the corner of my class. What is it with you? Why aren't you like the others? Why don't you make friends, Bethany?" I stiffened at my name then relaxed.
"It's because I don't want to."
"But why is it like that?" She asked. I shrugged and kept quiet. "You are one weird child." She said shaking her head.
"Maybe." I shrugged again but I was kind of feeling awkward talking like that with a teacher.
"What are you going to do during the vacation?"
"I don't really know. I'll go home and do some research on the assignments and..." I trailed off. She shook her head again then looked at me. I averted my eyes out the window, unable to answer unvoiced questions that swirled in her compassionate gaze.
"Why don't you try taking up something as new hobby? Like writing or hiking or something?"
I stiffened again. This conversation was taking a very dangerous emotional turn.
"I will, Mrs. Williams. Thank you. Have a nice vacation!" I said in a fake sing song and started to walk away.
"Wait up!" Her voice brought me to a halt and she continued, "If don't have anything other than sitting and writing those boring assignments, maybe you could come over to my place. And I could really use someone's help in my garden, that is, if you want to." With that she turned back and left. Did she just say 'boring assignments'? Was i really talking to a teacher? I had no idea what all this convo was all about and I didn't think I needed to understand either. I was just going to go back home, eat ice cream and watch cartoon. I had it planned since long. I was not going to do anything different, no plans, no outings or anything. It was going to be just me and my TV. Doesn't that count as a hobby?

Back at home, I sat down in front of the television with a bucket of ice cream. Okay, not exactly a whole bucket, just more than the average amount a normal person take. As you can guess, I totally love ice cream. I started surfing through the channels and stopped on my favorite cartoon channel. I cringed my nose in disgust as Shin Chan's face showed up on the screen. I immediately changed the channel not wanting that stupid thing to ruin my mood. I don't know why they love Shin Chan. I have disliked it since the day I discovered it exists. No hatred, just dislike to the ultimate degree. I switched to another channel that was playing Avengers. I ate and watched until my phone rang beside me on its full volume. I always keep my phone on silent mode because I get tired of all those notifications. Hah, just kidding. My phone is never silent because I never need the silent mode. I didn't have anyone who would need to talk to me so I wasn't used to getting calls or notifications. This one call was probably Momma's. I picked up and tapped on the answer button.
Her voice screeched from the other side, "Where have you been?? I have been knocking the door since the last fifteen minutes!!"
Oops! I must have not heard the door because of the high volume on TV. Okay... I braced myself for an earful as I hurried to open the front door. I found Momma standing on the front porch with a stern look which was visible even in the darkness. I switched on the porch light which only made her look scarier.
"What have been doing??" She asked furiously. Typical of my mother, short temper.
"Err... I was watching TV and the volume was high, so I couldn't hear you knock."
"Again!? Why don't you find something else to do? Something other than watching those ridiculous things? Those horrifying things have brainwashed..." I mumbled an apology and went into my room shutting the door behind me. Shutting Momma's rantings.

I sat down near my bedroom window with my phone in hand. I scrolled through Instagram reels for some time then decided to do some research about my assignment topics. But I was back at the window with my headphones after not more than an hour of sitting in front of my laptop. I played Candy Crush while listening to Taylor Swift's songs. Few minutes later, I heard a bang on my door. I rushed to open it and faced Momma's angry scowl.
"What happened?" I asked wondering what I did this time.
"Did you forget to stop by the grocery by any chance?"
Uh-oh!
"I'll just walk to the grocery and be back in fifteen." I said while grabbing my cap and phone while she eyed me.
"Here is the list. The money is inside." She said handing me a bag and a paper. I took it from her and read it as I walked down the stairs. On the paper, a list of ingredients was scribbled with blue ink.
• Butter
• Flour
• Eggs
• Cocoa
• Honey
• Chocolate chips

"Are we making cake?" I asked.
"No. I'm making pizza with flour and chocolate." Yeah, moms can be sarcastic too.
"Huh?" Chocolate-flavored pizza? I'm not even going to try.
"Of course, we're making caking. What else do we do of these ingredients? Did you forget Garry is coming home today?" She asked in disbelief.
Uh-oh. "Of course not! I just didn't know we're going to make cake." A white lie.
"Good that you remember. Oh, and I am making cake, not we. Because last time I checked you sucked at baking. Cupcakes aren't supposed to be salty." Gee, thanks for the compliment.
"I still suck at baking. Guess I'll run to the grocery and get what you need. Bye, Momma."
I waved and walked out of the house with the grocery bag in one hand and the list in the other, thinking about Garry.
He worked in the military and hardly came home. Guess he was able to get a break for Christmas this time. I was kind of looking forward to spending some time with my brother. Last time he got time off work was last year, in summer that too he had to cancel half of his holidays because of an emergency and return to the camp. I hope he would stay a little longer this time. I was walking down the lane when I spotted Mrs. Williams on the road with a grocery bag in her hand and I immediately regretted getting out of the house. After the weird convo back at school, I didn't know what to say if we'd have another conversation by any means. I wanted to hide but it was too late. She had already seen me and was now waving at me. Shit. Awkwardness alert!!