XII

A/N: Death? Me? Noooooooooooo. Not me. Never me.

Fuck it's been a while and yeah I know this whole thing we've got going on. I publish a chapter, you guys read it, I don't publish a chapter, you wonder if I've died and then we do it all again.

Trust me, you're not the only ones that find it annoying.

But I'll say this. I won't write something I don't want to write. That's how you end up with shit you look back on and despise. I know the feeling.

Anyways, cheers! And here's to not ending the world!

—/—/—\__/—\—\—

Her mind was a flurry as she closed her locker, fitting the last of her armor into place. She wasn't sure what exactly they were getting into her and she wasn't sure came after. The idea was that they were going to oversee evacuations planet side and if possible, cover the civilians should the reapers make planet fall. Which, given the amount of Reaper ships both present and pushing into system, it was all too likely.

As for getting off planet if things went to shit, well, Shepard wasn't exactly sure that would remain an option hours down the line.

But even as she secured the Mattock weapon block to her back, she couldn't help but wonder where all of this was leading. Where all of this was going to culminate in the end. She for the life of her couldn't decide and couldn't figure it out. But the sound of a locker slamming shut to her left brought her mind back to the now, to the focal point as she found Ashley getting her own gear in order.

"What do you think they'll be like, Commander?" She asked, more than absentmindedly.

"Who?" Shepard returned, though she likely already suspected she knew.

"The Bird-People." Ashley offered, though more of a quiet, whispering tone this time around instead of a normal one. Shepard only thought about it a moment as Miranda closed her locker, this time from Shepard's right.

"Bird-People or not, this is bound to be so much less exciting without the Illusive Man trying to stab us in the back." The former Cerberus operative offered in response. From the other side of the bay, Jack only offered a loud scoff.

"You know, from the way you keep bringing him up, I'd say you almost miss working for that no good bastard." He offered loudly in response. Miranda made a show of looking up in thought somewhat before turning back to Jack, hand on her hip.

"The Credits weren't bad." She told her. Which prompted a vulgar hand sign in return, some of the other crew chuckling at the display. It was at that point however that Garrus grabbed his helmet, looking to the crew as a whole.

"So being Turian and all, I'm not really well versed in this yet. But In first contact, when are we supposed to start shooting the first contact?" He questioned as he began to secure his helmet to his armor. Some of the crew groaned at the joke in poor taste, but others made up for it with laughter, both Wrex and Grunt included.

"You know, it's almost a shame. I'm not sure I can die peacefully without seeing the Turian comedy scene not flourishing." Kaiden offered in response.

"Nah. Fuck that. Turian Comedy can stay dead." Jack retorted.

"But Jack? Without my humor, what ever will I do?" Garrus asked in somewhat heartbroken tone. Jack only rolled her eyes at the response.

"Mmmm, I don't know." Kasumi offered from the side before her camouflage activated. "You make a killing off of that voice regardless. Maybe even make a credit or two if you really try." The Master thief offered as an idea. Garrus made show of looking like he was considering it, all the way to the point of Kaiden shaking his head somewhat as soon as he'd gotten his helmet on.