Chapter 4: Carys

Carys' POV

I don't need her lying to protect my feelings, I'm better now. Why didn't she just tell me how she was feeling from the start? I'm not a child. If she wants to stay then of course I'll support her, but I can't stay here too. I need to be with my pack. And yeah, she's my pack too but I need my mum and dad. I've gone too long living in Geraint and Rhiannon's lie.

Obviously, I don't want her to stay in the wild but I can't hold her back from doing what's best for her, the guilt would swallow me whole and we'd end up resenting each other and falling apart anyway.

What I don't understand is why she's suddenly got cold feet about our future. I thought she loved living in the human world. Could she really have been lying the whole time? Though, I guess she never really lied, she just changed the subject whenever I'd start talking about the future, I just didn't realise she didn't want me to be part of hers.

No.

That can't be it. I know she loves me. I can't afford to start thinking like that again, I've come too far in my recovery to start taking steps back now.

After blowing off steam with a run, I head back towards camp, it's getting dark anyway, I should probably get some sleep. Maybe in the morning, we can try and talk and we'll both have clear heads.

"Mum?" I stop to talk to my parents who are still discussing things Alric. "Where am I sleeping tonight?"

"You're all in the den, it'll be warmer and I know how much you're going to miss central heating," she tries to joke but I know she's still stressed about this whole Alpha thing.

I smile, "Night mum, night dad," I give them both a kiss on the cheek, "Night Alric."

"Did you remember your pills?" Mum asks.

"Yes, don't worry," I reassure her.

It's probably not even 9 o'clock yet, so I'm the first one in the den, but I'm supposed to go to bed early anyway, that's what Dr Stevens said to do, especially if I get anxious or stressed.

Since I've been in recovery, I've started to cherish sleep. After the long journey here and all of the drama, I fall asleep faster than I ever have.

The bliss of my long-awaited rest is rudely interrupted when I wake up to a living nightmare. Unfamiliar hands wrap around my face and cover my mouth and eyes. I reach up to try and pull the hands away, but I feel more hands grabbing at my arms and legs. I feel them yank me out of the tent silently.

I try to scream but another hand squeezes my throat, and all that comes out is a strained cough. I can barely breathe as I watch my life flashes before my eyes. All I can think about is Jana. I'm dragged violently over the rocky terrain through the woods until finally, we come to an abrupt stop, and whoever has taken me out here throws my body aside like I'm a ragdoll.

The hands move from my face but they hold me in place face down on the ground so I can't see who's doing this to me. But I felt at least six hands, which means there's at least three of them.

Someone kicks me, rolling me over onto my back, I see three pairs of glowing yellow eyes, and as I blink away the blurriness of my tear-filled eyes, I see them.

Ingrid, Tove and Beca.

Ingrid is above me; she picks my head up by my hair and ties an old rag around my fave covering my mouth. It all happens too fast for me to react. Tove and Beca are holding down my arms and legs. With my body restricted like this, I can't even wolf-out.

As my eyes start to adjust to the dim light, I see the scowl Ingrid is wearing, and the tears start to leak from my eyes.

"You call yourself a Wolfblood?" Ingrid scoffs, "Real Wolfbloods don't cry," she laughs.