Chapter 11: Carys

Carys' POV

After telling mum and dad about Segolia's helicopter, and explaining to mum what a helicopter is, I make my way to our tent to say goodnight to Jana. Rhydian and I are staying with Bryn tonight.

"Jana?" I poke my head through the tent, making sure they're not asleep yet. They're both sat up talking. Jana sees me and gives me a tight hug.

"I don't want to let you go," she mumbles.

I've barely paid any attention to her feelings this whole time, she must have been so scared, especially up on the mountain. It was only a few hours ago but I can't believe I went back to a place where I thought throwing myself off a cliff and leaving her and my family behind would make the world a better place.

I stroke her hair and kiss her head. I rest my hand on the side of her still-bruised neck, and she does the same.

"Bryn will be okay, I'll be okay. Everything's going to get better now, I'm here, I'm here," I assure her. "I love you."

"I love you too," we kiss, rather passionately until Maddy mocks a gagging sound and we laugh ourselves apart.

"Think my dinner's coming back up," she jokes.

"I'll see you in the morning, and we can finally get home," Jana says. I give her one last little kiss goodnight and head back to Bryn.

Mum, dad and Alric are sitting a few feet away from the tent, probably talking about the pack and its future. Mum and dad are doing everything they can to make sure Alric keeps his word to be the best Alpha he can. Keeping him in line is like they've got another kid. I think Alric has changed though, not just since everything that went down when Jana came to Stoneybridge. The whole Ingrid situation changed all of us, but seeing his daughter with another Wolfblood's claws around her throat seems to have taught him a lesson.

Inside the tent Rhydian and Bryn are already asleep, Bryn doesn't look any better, but he doesn't look worse, which hopefully is a good sign. I curl up next to my brothers and shut my eyes. Within minutes I'm asleep.

I wake up to what sounds like a giant chainsaw along with the howling of the pack. Bryn's still sleeping, but Rhydian isn't next to me anymore. I rush out of the tent and find him with my family looking up to the sky. I tilt my head back, straining my neck and see the trees first, blowing to and fro violently. Then I see the black helicopter above us. With a long rope dangling from it, a man in all black hangs onto it.

Alric is supposed to be keeping the pack calm but even he's freaking out just at the sight of it. Mum and Dad did their best to prepare him for Segolia's arrival, but in his world the only things that can fly are insects and birds. To see a box full of humans floating above us must feel like and invasion to him.

Mum tries to shut everyone up, it takes some time, but eventually, with the help of Jana, they all calm down enough to listen when mum orders their silence. Jana runs to my side.

They're barely quiet for ten seconds when a thundering voice booms from above setting them off again.

"We're looking for Bryn," the man on the rope is using a megaphone.

"He's in here!" I shout back and wave my arms at him.

The man gives a thumbs up to the pilot and the rope starts to lower to the ground. At the bottom of the rope is some kind of bed with straps on it that will hold Bryn in place. I thought this kind of thing only happened in the movies.

"Where is he?" The man asks me, he's not remotely fazed by the snarling and howling from the pack that surrounds him. My family and I lead him to Bryn. He brings a stretcher with him. "Take that side," he says to dad.