Chapter 7: Carys

Carys' POV

Gwyn and Cadwr keep brave faces, but I've had cuts as deep as theirs before, it hurts. Mum gives them some sort of potion, a mixture of herbs and plants that will help the healing process and fight off infection.

"Are you sure you didn't see who did this?" Mum asks them. They shake their heads, and mum lets them leave.

Alric walks in with Aran in stride, "What happened?" He asked.

"Where's Ingrid?" Aran asks.

The mention of her name makes me shudder. Does this mean they've found out it was her?

"And where's my daughter?" Alric starts to raise his voice again.

"You need to keep control of your pack," I say to him, "How do you expect to be the next Alpha with your pack running circles around you?"

"You need to respect your superiors," Alric snarls at me.

"Enough!" Dad shouts, "I am still your Alpha. You do not talk to my daughter like that."

I've never seen dad so angry. Alric submits, but I stand and bring him to his feet again.

"Carys, you need to rest," Mum tries to make me sit down again.

"I'm fine, mum," I push her arms away.

"Carys, you're hurt-"

"I'm the reason this is happening!" I say, "I have to do something, okay? I'll take him to find Jana and Rhydian. Whatever it is they're doing out there, he deserves to know his cub is safe, and so do you. We'll find Bryn and get him back."

Mum and dad try one last time to stop me, but I ignore them and lead Alric and Aran out of the tent and we start to follow their scents.

"They went this way," I try to start running, but I don't pick up much speed, I'm still in so much pain. Still, I push through it. Lives are at stake.

    "Are you alright?" Aran asks me, coming to my side.

I shake off the pain and nod my head, "I'm fine."

We run through the woods, following the scent. I can smell Ingrid, Beca, and Tove now too. Once we get closer, my instincts kick in and I start to feel that something is really wrong with Jana. I come to an abrupt stop, trying to catch my breath so I can keep running. My head spins and my stomach churns with worry. I know I'm too weak to try and fight Ingrid, but if it comes to it, if she hurts them, then there's no way I'm standing on the sidelines.

    Alric runs off ahead, but Aran stops and looks back at me. I take a few quick breaths and run to catch up to him.

    "Carys, you're weak, you should return to camp," I push him aside, but he grabs me.

    "I am not weak," I shove him away.

He runs in front of me. Thinking that he was just going to keep running, I continue on too, but he takes me by surprise when he leaps at me, knocking me to the ground. I land directly on my bruised area and hit my head on the ground. I didn't think it would be Aran I would have to fight today. The air is knocked out of me and I start coughing, but I ignore the pain and stumble to my feet.

"What the hell?" I say, pushing past him again and trying to run.

He storms over to me and pulls me back by the collar of my jacket, "You. Are. Weak."

I stop trying to wrestle him, hoping he'll ease up and I can slip out of his arms.

"Jana needs you," he says.