Chapter 1: New kid

"You are a freak!"

It was a strange and uncomfortable situation to be in, but at the same time, all too painfully familiar and far too frequent. Joe tries to ignore the smack on a cheekbone, the taunts of the perpetrators, the overzealous interest of the spectators as the victim falls to the floor of the cafeteria, their tray of food scattering across the shiny lino flooring. Joe glances up and ashamedy looks away from the spectacle, choosing to take another bite of sandwich to his mouth, kidding himself that his lack of interest was somehow less shameful than the alternative. 

"You are a freak!" 

The words loud and clear being spewed from the bully's mouth, aimed at the guy, the new kid, who had not even comitted a crime, other than not looking like everyone else in this god forsaken place called school. 

The kid tries to get up, only to be pushed down once again. His leather lace necklace being pulled from his neck, the chrome charms falling from it, scattering in all directions. The torment only ending when a person of supposed authority shows their face, dispanding the crowd and allowing the victim to at least get up from the floor. Joe watches as the new kid hurridly picks up his posessions and dashes to the double doors. 

"Poor guy." Alan says with a heavy sigh as the doors swing closed, making Joe once again draw his attention to his friend. 

"Mmhm" Joe replies as a response, trying his best to be disinterested in the whole affair. 

"You have gym with him right?" Alan questions. "I can only imagine how they rip him to shreds in the locker room." 

"Yep." Joe responds again. So desperately wanting to talk about something else. "Are you going to that party of Julian's on Friday night?" 

"I wish! I have to work." Alan huffs, stretching forward, stifling a yawn. 

Joe sighs in annoyance. "Seriously? Who am I supposed to go with then?" Alan was his only real friend in this place. Everyone else were mere acquaintances. 

"Look man I'm sorry, I need the money!" Alan runs his hands down his face, then suddenly sits up a little. "Look I finish my shift around 10, if you wanna hang around until I'm done, we can go then. 

Joe ponders on the idea. He could really give or take the party, but had learned that in order to survive, one had to be part of the crowd or be singled out. Being part of a pack was better that surviving as a lone wolf, even if the pack was fake and as shallow as a puddle. "Sure, I'll hang around." Joe decides. 

*** 

The new guy manages to make his way to the toilets without further vindication. He heads straight to the line of sinks, instantly turning on the cold water and splashing his face. He can see the red from his bust lip mix with the running water disappear down the plug hole. He eventually turns off the tap and stares at himself in the mirror and taking a finger to his left blue studded earing begins to speak. "Commander Jones, it appears that my design is not sitting well with the teen kind. I am being subjected to physical and mental violation. However I will persist within this shimmer until the seventh day at your request and report back. Signing off... Vinnie."