Chapter 7: Scratch the surface

"I'm still me underneath right?"

Joe had given up on the notes about ratios on the smart board, only likening them to the probability of him finding Micheal as likely as plaiting fog. He chose instead to gaze out of the window at some students in the year below carrying gym equipment back into the sports hall. Anything to make the boy leave his mind, so he could at least think of something else.

His mind was so removed from the present that it isn't until his elbow is forcibly nudged by someone, that he is brought back into the room. He looks round in annoyance at who the perpetrator was to see Austin looking over at him all handsome and wide eyed. "Excuse me...my pen?"

"Uh?" Joe looks at the guy a little confused. 

"My pen has rolled under your desk. Would you mind getting it for me?" The gaze remaining, only accompanied by an infectious smile which Joe found himself mirroring as he leaned over to one side to see a black sharpie sitting by his feet. He inwardly cursed himself at how compliant he seemed to be. 

"Here." He retrieves the pen, handing it back to the boy, who nods a thankyou, holding out a dainty porcelain hand before returning his gaze to the front of the class. 

Joe continues to look at his classmate's profile a moment longer, the way the guy's nose was so perfect and lips so full and plush. He finally comes to his senses, snapping his thoughts away and tries his best concentrate on what he should be doing. The last thing he needed was another guy on his mind. 

The lesson finally comes to an end and Joe has to make his way right across to the other side of the school for his music class. He hurridy packs his bag and slings it on his shoulder and is halfway out of the door, when he feels a hand press down on his shoulder. "Hey!" 

Joe turns to see Austin once again staring at him. "What is it?" The words from Joe's mouth come out rather abruptly. Why was this guy hassling him yet again? 

"Sorry, it's just, you left this on your desk." Austin hands over a small notepad. 

Joe looks down at the red stationary being handed to him. Now suddenly feeling a little guilty for coming across so cold. "Oh thanks." He says, trying to make up for his previous shortness in his tone. 

"It seems like I have returned the favour." Austin beams a smile. With Joe once again finding himself mirroring the action, before he awkwardly turns back around and heads into the corridor. 

As far as Joe is concerned, that is it. But Austin seems to have other ideas. As he suddenly finds the new guy double his steps to walk by him. "So where are you heading now?" He keeps looking at Joe's profile as he hugs his maths text book to his chest. 

"I have music." Joe replies, still a little unnerved as to why this guy was wanting his attention. 

"I love music!" Austin says a little over enthusiastically, what kind?" 

"I like to compose..." Joe suddenly stops in his tracks, causing Austin to take a few steps ahead of him before realising he's walking alone. He stops and looks back at Joe a little confused. "Look I don't mean to be rude, but what is this?" He asks, making Austin frown. 

"What is what?" He asks in innocence. 

"This!" Joe gestures with his fingers at the space between them. "Why are you talking to me?" 

"Why can't I talk to you?" 

This gets Joe stumped. There was no actual reason why Austin couldn't talk to him, it just wasn't the done thing. The popular handsome guy, talking to the average nobody. "Wouldn't you rather talk to them?" Joe nods towards a group of female students who were doing that covert flirting. Just waiting to pounce, given the opportunity. 

"Not especially, why? should I be talking to them?" Austin asks. 

"Well, no...but it would make more sense if you were talking to them and not to me." Joe points out.

"Why?"

"Because people who look like you don't talk to people like me ok! Unless it's a prank or something." Joe now feels a bit impatient. 

"But why?" Austin says once again. "I want to talk to you. You're kind Joe!"

Joe now looks at Austin who had stepped a little closer. His eyes squinting at Austin's perfect ones. "You know my name." He says curiously. 

"Yes. You're Joe Turner." Austin says smiling.

"How? How do you know my name?" 

Austin's face turns serious. The look almost a little panicked. "The teacher has said it. It stuck with me. I'm good at names!" 

"Is that so?" Joe shifts his weight to his other foot as he maintains eye contact. "Have you heard of a Micheal Morrison or a Vinnie?" 

Austin lets out a nervous laugh. "Joe, I only started here on Monday. I only know a few names, like yours. I remember your name...Joe Turner" 

Joe doesn't seem convinced. "I need to get to my next lesson." He sighs, nudging Austin's shoulder as he passes. 

Austin lets him go, deciding that he probably shouldn't follow. He looks up at the group of girls whome Joe was gesturing to a moment before. Their eyelashes fluttering and their smiles beaming. "Hey ladies...." he heads towards the group...

***

Later that evening, Austin enters the place he calls home, heading straight up the stairs and straight to his room. He drops his bag by his bed and looks up to the mirror. He gazes at his reflection, running his hands down his face. "I'm confused!" He says out loud with a defeatest sigh. 

"About what?" 

Austin turns to see Will emerging from the covers of his blankets in his bed. 

"About what people on this planet want.  I mean this face. People love this face! But they didn't like Micheal's. I'm still me underneath right?" 

Will sits up, from his sleeping position, shaking his blue locks. "Some people are shallow. But that's what we're here to learn. How humans are towards eachother and how we can fit in. It's the goal isn't it, what the commander wants. To find the perfect package and blend." 

"I guess." Austin sighs, "but this image isn't working on the guy Joe Turner. The guy who saved me. He wants Micheal!" 

"Then give him Micheal." Will interrupts.

Austin turns to look at his friend, taking in the reckless idea. "You do know the risks of duality and the fact that Micheal's shimmer is damaged. What if I get caught? What if the commander was to find out? We could endanger us and those who find out!" 

"What's the alternative? You're dammed if you do and dammed if you dont!" Will now pulls back the blankets and hauls himself out of bed. He heads to where his friend is stood by the mirror. He places a pair of reassuring hands on his shoulders. "You do you Vinnie!"