Part four

I had gotten ready and up to leave for school. I see Anne still sleep so I give her a kiss on the head after eating I ran to make it to school on time. (Outfit above.) Turns out that threat I made, made Mr Phillips ten times harder on me when it comes to being on time. I make to the schoolhouse with ten minutes to spare. In your face Mr Phillips. Then I realize I had no one to talk to for the next the minutes. Yes I have Diana but I don't want to make her an outcast to so I kept my distance at school. "Morning Leora." Then there was Gilbert and after two days of looking at his pouty face I gave in and sort of, well a little bit forgave him. "Gilbert, how was your morning?" He shrugs, "I was cutting fire wood for most of it then just the same as normal."

I give me a sharp nod, "sounds productive to me." He gives me a smile, "thank you." I frown, "what ever for. If it's for putting up with your rotten self then your welcome it was either you or the tadpoles in the stream." He laughs, "well thanks for that, but no I mean for not asking about my dad." I shrug, "not my place to ask." He nods, "I know but that doesn't normally stop people." I take his hand, "if you want to talk about it we can, but I won't be the one to bring it up." Just then Mr Phillips walks in and orders us to our seats. He looks me dead in the eyes and I just smirk at him making him gulp and then continue the lesson. I still got it.

When I get home I find a crying Anne in our room, "Anne, sweetie? What's wrong?" She moves over and I lay next to her as she says, "Marilla said I have to go to school tomorrow. I don't want to, everyone hates me." I sigh, "I don't Anne." She nods, "yeah, but you spend all you time with Gilbert. I don't want to spend time with that mongrel." I sigh, "he's not that bad once you get to know him. Even I mange to forgive him and I'm stubborn." She sniffles, "and a sucker for puppy dog eyes. Can't we just lie and say I am going to school and instead I can go to the woods." I pull her into a hug, "whatever you want Anne."

It was three days later and to say her plan blew up in her face was an understatement, the priest ended up coming over saying she should stay and home and train to be a housewife. I almost exploded but Matthew kept me calm. Tonight however me and Anne were woken up by bells. We went to Marilla and she said there had been a fire. We picked up all the buckets we could find and went straight over as Matthew was already there. When we get there we found out it was Ruby's house.

When we get out of our carriage Diana ran up to us, "Anne! Leora!" We all hug and Anne says, "Oh, I've missed you so much." Then glass shatters breaking us all apart. I then see Gilbert climb the ladder to deal with the upper floor and my heart feels like it's in my throat. My breathing starts to get heavy and Anne asks, "Leora? Are you okay?" I nod, "I can't loose anyone else to a fire. Is everyone out?" Diana points over to Ruby, "yes, Ruby and her family are over there" Anne then asks, "why are the doors and windows open?" My eyes widen and we look at each other and nod as we run towards the building. We hear Diana call for us and when we get in I say, "you do the bottom then get out. I'll do the top floor." She goes to argue but I don't gives her time as I run up the stairs covering my mouth.

I start closing all the doors and then I get to one with Gilbert in the window, "Leora?" I ignore him and close the door, I need to focus. When I'm done I run down and start to cough and I see Anne still closing windows, "Anne get out, now!" She runs past me and out of the house as I continue to close windows. I start to choke as I try to crawl my way out of the building. I finally make it to the door and see Anne in Diana's arms and when they see me they all run towards me, "Leora! Oh, Leora!" I fall to the ground and Marilla pulls me into a hug. I then ask, "did it work?" Diana then asks, "why did you two run inside?" I then ask Anne, "did it slow it down?" Before she could answer Marilla asks, "what were you thinking?" I was at a lose of breath as Anne explains, "fire need oxygen. Closing the windows and doors deprives it." I nod and say, "after my parents I made me and Anne memorise the fire manual in the orphanage just in case." Marilla gives me her cloak and pulls us both in for a hug.

After the priests speech they organised who would go where and after being thanked we were told Ruby would be staying with us. Joy. When we got back Marilla sent us to bed. Anne and Ruby were sharing, thank goodness. The only person I share a bed with is Anne. I could hear Ruby's crying and it made my heart break a little and then it kind of stopped as Anne calmed her down. I smiled proud and let me eyes drift closed.

Throughout the week we got closer to Ruby and her and Anne became friends, I just deemed her as okay for now. Anne opened a story club that is in a small shed in the woods with me, her, Diana, and Ruby. She also decided school wouldn't be so bad now she had three friends.