Part nine

Marilla had given her two days off school because of what happened. She felt sympathy for the young girl as she knew what it was like to loose a Blythe boy. However she felt Leora had missed enough schooling because of this boy, so the night before Marilla informed the bed ridden girl of the news and only got a grunt in response.

To say Leora wasn't looking forward to going back to school was an understatement. She knew she would have to go so she left early to avoid Anne and took a walk before school. She saw the Blythe house in the distance on her walk and just stood there waiting for Gilbert to come running down with his goofy smile and some sort of witty remark. It never came. She then finds her hand going into her coat pocket and pulling out a key, it wouldn't hurt to make a quick stop before school would it? Deciding it wouldn't hurt she made her way up the path that used to lead to a house full of laughter and joy. Now it just seemed to feel empty and cold.

As she looked at the building it made her heart ache even more, she knows it was her choice but part of her was angry at Anne. The last time they had talked Anne was rambling about how Gilbert leaving was an amazing thing. That not only would it mean she could live out a tragical romance but also that she would hang out with her more again and get along better with the girls. Leora didn't want that, she wanted this pain she felt to go away. Shaking the thought out of her head she unlocked the door and entered the house. Everything was covered in sheets and even though it had been two days the place already seemed to be getting dusty.

Not having the energy to move far she just sat on the floor and breathed in the faint smell of the Blythe men. She lost them both, while she does see the Cuthbert's as family she saw the Blythe's the same. They were her family and they she had lost them, both of them. She stood up quickly releasing this wasn't the same place that once brought her joy, it was cold and just a reminder of all that she had lost. She picked up her basket and left the house. Looking back at the door she then placed the key under the mat and left.

Anne had just arrived at the school building and walked in expecting to see her sister only to see all the girls expect her. Anne taps Diana on the shoulder, "Diana have you seen my dearest sister, she is meant to be back today." Diana frowns, "I thought she would have come with you." Anne's face falls, "we seem not to be talking, that in itself is abnormal. I think it's all Gilbert's fault." Just then Anne stops talking having heard a sniffle and see's it's Ruby, "how could he just leave, what am I meant to do in class without his handsome face to keep me going." She then bursts out into tears and Josie pulls her into a hug, "there, there, you see Anne Ruby here has a right to mourn his lose. Your supposed sister on the other hand, well she is nothing but a harlot my mother told me so."

Anne's face turns bright red from anger, "what did you just say? You take that back! Right now!" Josie scoffs, "I will not Mrs Barry told my mother herself. She was alone with Gilbert for days, corrupting him I bet. I think it's best if your sister stay away, from everyone." Josie seemed to have directed the last part to behind Anne so she turns around to see a angry but tearful looking Leora. Just as Anne goes to speak Leora shakes her head and runs out of the school house past Mr Phillips, "get back here young lady! Do you hear me!" When she didn't stop he sighed and turned back to the rest of the class, "what are you all looking at. Take your seats."

She had ran all the way back home and past Matthew and Jerry and collapsed onto the floor much to the shock of Marilla, "oh my child, why are you not at school." She looked up to Marilla with tearful eyes, "the whole town thinks I'm a harlot." Matthew who had ran to follow her stood at the door in shock and Marilla helps the girl stand up, "and where would they get that ridiculous notion." Leora looks down, "me staying at Gilberts after his father died. I wasn't even in the same room as him. I promise." Marilla sighs she of course knew that if anyone found this in the town to would get out of hand. She had signed off for the girl to stay knowing the boy needed her. Matthew himself didn't know how the town could scandalize such a kind and sweet girl. Marilla is the first to speak, "and who is telling the town this?"

Leora stays silent, she doesn't want the reason that Anne and Diana are unable to see each other. Matthew places his hand on her shoulder, "if you don't tell us we can't help you." Leora sighs, "Mrs Barry." Marilla's face hardens, "I'll get my coat and then me and you are heading up to the Barry's house. Leave your basket here." Her eyes widen but she nods and places it down anyway. She doesn't want any confrontation, not today anyway she doesn't have the energy. However without protest she followed Marilla to the Barry house.

When they arrived it was the maid that answered, "Ms Marilla, Leora, how can I help you?" Marilla says wanting to hurry this along, "just go fetch Mrs Barry for me please." The maid frowns, "I'm sorry, I'm afraid Mr and Mrs Barry are both out in Charlotte town for business, Miss Josephine however is here to look after the girls." Leora and Marilla had both heard of the lady in the wonderous ramblings of Anne, and she is one of Anne's kindred sprits. Just then an old looking lady cleared her throat, "I think you should take these ladies coats, please come in. It's cold outside." Marilla walked in and after a moment of hesitation Leora followed taking her coat off.

They are now all sat in the drawing room and Miss Josephine asks, "so what brought you ladies here. Shouldn't this one be at school." Leora look down at her hands and Marilla says, "I just wanted to educate Mrs Barry on the consequences of out of hand gossip. Mainly spreading information when not well informed." Josephine frowns, "and what has she been saying?" Marilla goes to say it is not important but to her shock she heard Leora's small voice say, "she is telling or implying to the town that I'm-- I'm a harlot." The lady's eyes widen, "well that is absolutely unexpectable. You are a child, and from what I hear a bright one so I find it hard to believe." Marilla stands, "well that was it, if you could pass on the message I wish to talk to her I would be grateful, come on Leora." As they both go to leave Josephine says, "actually, I have something I wish to so young Leora, would you mind?"

Marilla was hesitant but Leora nodded so she said, "I will see you at home, we will discuss school then." After Marilla left Leora asks, "what is it you wanted to show me?" Josephine nods, "please follow me." So she follows her into her room and as she waits by the door Josephine comes back with a book and Leora shakes her head, "I'm not much of a reader like Anne." The lady smirks, "it's an art book. From what Anne speaks of you have an interest." She takes the books, "I do, always have. I just never knew where to start." She nods, "well then start here. A friend of mine wrote it, full of beautiful paintings and step by step lessons in drawing." For the first time since Gilbert left she smiles, "thank you."

Josephine gives her a nod and then says, "don't let gossip and others stop you from getting an education. Many are fighting to stop you or any women from getting one. Don't give them the satisfaction. If I listened to others I wouldn't be where I am." Leora frowns, "what do you mean." She gestures to a chair, "please sit, you see I'm sure you've heard of my best friends passing." Leora nods, "yes and I am dearly sorry." She shakes her head, "please don't be, she lived a good life. You see I did not marry a man, but because of this people did not agree of the love I did have with her." Leora's eyes widen, "wow. So you didn't just loose you bestfriend." Josephine nods, "your right there. However while others ignored the romance and deemed it to only be friendship, we found people that excepted us. Find your people who do not care what others think of you. Promise me you will." I stand, "I will, I promise. I should go before Diana gets back, don't tell her I was here." She smirks, "I can keep a secret." With one last smile and nod Leora runs back to Green Gables with the book in hand.

On the way home she decided to spend this time to find not only herself but her people.